Is Canon a serious threat to Sony?

dieselhead

That was the question on the front page today....Maybe I am out to lunch here but how can Canon be a threat when its using Sony's sensors, that to me shows that Canon has reached a limit to in its ability to inovate. The only threat I see is that unless Sony take up more effective advertising they will get lost in the mix because the money Canon save in development they will spend on more advertising which even now is an astronomical amount.

We have to give Sony credit for the incredable efforts and influence they have had on the SLR world, as a converted Nikon user I have regained the excitement I used to have when packing up my equipment to go on a job, there are improvements to be made of course as any critic is quick to point out but at least the are working to improve on an the most exciting system out there.

Canon do actually have most of Sony&Nikon's innovations, they just choose to segment their market more: you have to buy two or three of their cameras to get all the features included in one Sony mirrorless.

Sensor tech-wise, the rather marginal improvements of the new 7D mk2 vs it's 5-year-old predecessor indicate Canon won't overtake Sony for several more years if ever.

If those "5Ds" specs are accurate, on paper the new sensor appears to bring nothing more than the MP count: it's ISO range seems bizarrely limited at 6400 max / 12800 expanded, and the numbers suggest the same AF system as in the 3-year-old 5D mk3.

It's the latter point that makes me think the sensor is Canon- not Sony-made. This is a good thing: it's not in consumer's interests for Sony to end up with a near-monopoly on large sensors (and I hope it's true because I wouldn't want A7R2 / A9 to be limited to just 6400 ISO).

• 3 weeks later...

I've also noticed that the 5Ds has listed a digital level as an important feature.

Those things don't come standard on all cameras these days?!

The correct question would be 'Is Sony a threat to Canon?'.  Since Canon has the largest market share. My answer is, I hope so.  But I think mobile phone cameras are a larger threat to Canon than Sony is.

Sony has been trying really hard over the last couple of years to win market share.  Producing stuff that we want to purchase.  The PS4 is a good example.  Very similar to the Xbone, but with less of the restrictions.

I have no doubt that Sony will continue to give us plenty of opportunity to give them our cash.

The slow release of the A mount lenses is a good thing. I don't have thousands to spend on new lenses every year! (or three)

The owners of the new 50MP Canon DSLR's will be shocked to see the results, when they push up their images to over 100% on their PC monitors!

The 50MP sensor might be good, but all these fancy Canon glasses might not have the capacities to keep up with the 50MP!

Photo experts saying, that these new 50MP cameras are just good for studio and landscape photography only. Canon don't like to hear that!

Well, from what I read, many Canon lenses are not as sharp as the Sony lenses.  Almost everyone will say that the L series is best. However, the results I've seen do not always reflect that opinion.

I think its interesting that you pay more for something that pretends to not be there.  Its cheaper and easier for Canon to not remove the AA filter and then somehow use software to remove the effect of the filter....

It is an example of Canon being stuck in the 90s. If it can be done in software, then just make one camera with no AA.  However, Canon know that people will pay.  Thus Canon will make the gear that people pay for.

If I recall correctly, Canon announced a couple of new lenses recently too, which I thought were for 50MP resolution. The prices I saw quoted were crazy expensive.

It will be interesting to see what happens.  The light leaking E mount reporting that we saw when the A7 was released caused a lot of stress, however all the Canon DSLR bodies do that too.  Its just that everyone forgot...

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's what I think. We can all agree here that mirrorless is the future and the sony a7 models are leading the pack. More and more people are switching to mirrorless of newer innovative technology and it's size and weight difference compared to dslrs. What is Canon or Nikon's answer to the Sony's Mirrorless cameras from the a6000 to the a7 , probably think fuji has better chances to stay alive than they do.

My A7m2 is rather heavy, the viewfinder only works when its turned on, and it behaves more like a computer than a camera. I don't mind all that, but I could have gotten a Canon and been equally satisfied overall.  :ph34r:

I have a Canon 7D, and there is no question that the A7ii is significantly smaller and lighter with comparable lenses (I usually have a 24-105 f4L on the Canon, Zeiss 24-70 on the Sony.) The EVF plus tiltable back screen is a tremendous benefit to me. I have no regrets switching.

• 1 month later...

I think the opposite is true.

Look at the amount of technology and innovation packed into the A7II for $1,700. It blows away what you get in a bigger, heavier, and more expensive DSLR.

DSLRs still have certain advantages but the mirrorless world is innovating at a far faster rate.