a6000 + LA-EA2 or EA4

On my A7 I use a Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro DG EX OS HSM and it focuses quickly and accurately. I also use a Sigma 70-300mm s1.4-5.6 DG OS which has a dc motor and gears focus system which is slower and noisy but still accurate on autofocus and a Vivitar Series 1 f3.5-4.5 19-35mm which has 'screwdriver' focusing using the motor in the LA-EA4. All three systems are fine on the LA-EA4 and focus accurately though at different speeds and noise levels.

There is some loss of functionality compared with native lenses if you use apps like smart remote control and focus stacking bracketing but otherwise I find the LA-EA4 very capable and it extends the choice of lenses greatly. It's not the quickest autofocus but does most of what I want except birds in flight and similar fast moving subjects.

I have a Nex-7 and a LA-EA2 adapter.

My 70-300G works great. It does, however, become a very long lens, 105-450mm equivalent. Great for bright and sunny days, but tripod required otherwise. Also the Nex7 is very small and light, you have to hold the camera via the lens. Balance not so great.

With all my A mount lenses I did focus testing and used the focus micro adjusts to correct.  Once corrected, the focus is spot on every time (unless user error...).

I have these A mount lenses:

Sony 70-300G - works great but very long and not so great for hand held.

Sony 50mm 1.8 - works fine equivalent to 75mm, the 50mm E lens is better.

Minotla 35-70 F4 - works good, but a little long for a walk around lens. Works MUCH better on the A99.

Minolta 80-200G - works awesome, very heavy, focus speed can torque the camera out of your hand. Required a lot of focus testing on my Nex-7 to get right.

Sony 30mm Macro - works great, slow focus, but its a macro.  Not sure if it is any better than the E macro.

Tamron 28-75 2.8 - mostly works well, sometimes the focus is not so great.

Minolta 100-200 4.5 - for the price, its great.

All of the A mount lenses I have are noisier than the E lenses. They are all heavier and larger.  There are pros and cons of course. The adapter has the mirror in it, so you lose a little light, but you gain the extra auto focus mechanism.  It makes your package larger and can change the balance of the camera.

A larger and heavier camera can be an advantage in some situations.  A windy day on a tripod for example. The A mount lenses *mostly* have AF-MF switches which work on my Nex7 and the focus limit switch on the 70300G also works. They can be handy.

Externally the 2 and 4 are identical I think.  Get the 4 as it can be used on other E mount full frame cameras, just in case.  Then look on ebay and get some cheap Minolta glass.  The *cheap* stuff is not the best, but for learning and experimenting they can be great tools.  Just stay away from the 'Xi' zoom lenses. They are the power zoom lenses which officially do not work on the adapters. (I've not tried)

Anyway, I hope that helps.

I use sony A6000 with LA-EA4. It works well with a Sony 50mm/1.8. But it does''t work with a Sigma 70-200 mm/2.8 HSM II; the lens isn't working to reach the AF. So the only way is to use in MF; impossible to use for sports photography.

Somebody has an experience with other A-mount lenses?

For your info.

My A6000 works perfectly in auto focus mode with LA EA4 and my Sigma 70-200mm  f/2,8 APO DG HSM. And so does it also with my a7 camera.  :)

Very strange that with the same configuration ( except same lense but HSM II) it doesn't work !!!!

Sigma support tells me that they don't guarantee the compatibility. ?!?

Unfortunately, i have no more Sony A mount camera to check the lense to confirm that the problem is not coming from the lense.

Thank you for your successfull experience with A6000 + LA-EA4 + sigma 70-200mm/2.8

• 3 months later...