Al Pha

Can Sensors be protected from Dust While Changing Lenses

On 10/20/2015 at 8:22 PM, Al Pha said:

I already own (and use) giottas rocket and a wet clean system with illuminated magnifier. However, I think it is technically possible for camera manufacturers to include sensor covers in ILC cameras to eliminate or at least minimize the need to clean sensors. It would be nice to hear from a Sony voice whether or not this is possible!

totally agree , an in built sensor cover that is switched on and off during changing lenses would be ideal and is something that is essential , the only way i combat it is turning off the camera during a lens change and holding the camera sensor facing down or away from any obvious wind 

On 3/27/2019 at 11:03 AM, RudiZ said:

The problem is that the Zoom lenses extend and so pump air inside the camera...With a Prime lens, you do not have dust on the sensor. My idea is when you have a Sony then you need an adapter for other lenses (Nikon, Tamron, Canon...) stick a glass (coated) from an optician inside of this adapter... maybe the optician can make this also because they fit the glasses.  

Zoom lenses don't pump air into the camera, they pump air from the outside into the lens and back the same way.

This sounds like just the thing for you. No need for a DIY workaround with adapters.

Doh! I was wondering what the effect of a whole new electro-mechanical assembly would be on size, weight and price. I'm an idiot: the mechanism is already there. Just close the shutter when the lens is being changed.

(read elsewhere today. Sorry, I don't remember the source for credit)

1 hour ago, Thad E Ginathom said:

Just close the shutter when the lens is being changed.

I think this is a bad idea: the shutter is a very fragile and meticulous piece of hardware. The glass cover of the sensor is much less susceptible to damage, much easier to clean and if it does get damaged likely cheaper to fix than the shutter assembly. Besides, dust would still get on the shutter blades and be released into the camera as soon as the shutter is actuated.

Edited by Pieter
typo

On 3/27/2019 at 10:03 AM, RudiZ said:

The problem is that the Zoom lenses extend and so pump air inside the camera...With a Prime lens, you do not have dust on the sensor. My idea is when you have a Sony then you need an adapter for other lenses (Nikon, Tamron, Canon...) stick a glass (coated) from an optician inside of this adapter... maybe the optician can make this also because they fit the glasses.  

That is Spot On ! Even with those fixed lens zooms.

Any time you turn the camera on, and the lens extends , you create a vacum that can suck dust & pollen into the body, and sticks to the electrickly charged sensor. 

Somewhere on the internet, there is a brilliant youtube clip , showing what happens when you turn  a camera on, in a smoke filled box.

If the lens can extend.....then it is  NOT sealed !

There has to be a micro opening , otherwise the lens would not be able to move.

Cheers

Edited by Wally The Confused

40 minutes ago, Wally The Confused said:

There has to be a micro opening , otherwise the lens would not be able to move.

Wally, please don't spread this kind of nonsense claims.

Without an opening, micro or not, you would simple just be changing the internal air pressure, which would definitely not block the lens from moving.

If you want to read up on physics, this would be a good start.

I guess Wally is right to some extent: if a telescopic lens were airtight then extending or collapsing it would change the enclosed volume and thereby create internal under- or overpressure. The lens would pretty much act like a spring: you would be able to extend it a little bit but it would revert back to its original position when released to equalize internal and external pressure.

That being said, like I mentioned in my previous post, it is indeed nonsense to claim that a telescopic lens pumps external air into the camera body. It does take in air when extended but this is blown out the same way when collapsed.

Telescopic zoom lenses generally do increase the chance of getting dust inside the lens if not properly sealed against dust. Fixed barrel zoom lenses like the 70-200 G(M) and the 18-105 G don't suck in external air so much when zoomed, so these lenses are less prone to getting dust inside the lens.

Edited by Pieter

I'll have to rectify my previous post a bit: some lenses have a moving rear element, such as my E 55-210mm. The rear element moves outward when zooming in, thus creating underpressure in the sensor chamber.

Out of pure curiosity and a scientific mindset I taped off the rear side of the lens to see if I could create a vacuum between the rear lens element and the tape. I couldn't, indicating that there must be a vent in the lens which lets in external air into the rear part (and thus into the sensor chamber). Removing the tape and holding my hand over the rear side of the lens while rapidly zooming in and out, I could feel some airflow against my hand. Air that would normally be blown right onto the sensor.

I guess the air is sucked in through the tight seams in the lens so I wouldn't really worry about big dust particles, but it seems plausible that lenses with a moving rear element might pump some air (and dust) onto your sensor.