External power (dummy battery adapter) resets my camera?

So, I finally got tired of dealing with the horrid battery life on my a6500 and bought an external power adapter that uses a dummy battery and can be connected to an external battery or bank or wall adapter.  The problem is, every time I insert it, my camera resets and I have to go through the whole date and time setup over again.  After which my camera works just fine, as long as I don't remove the adapter.  If I remove it and reinsert it, I have to go through the date and time setup all over. This makes no sense to me.  Why is it doing this?

You really should start with what brand of adapter?

Also is this while its powered on? or is it the same effect when turned off first? 

Dummy Adapters come in 3 types D-Tap (12v to whatever you need) 5v 5A with a buck boost module, and 18w USB-C PD trigger normally 12v or 9v modes or PD 60/100w 20v 3/5A modes with some level of DC to DC regulator chip or generic board in-line.

(You also have direct battery DC via a couple standard 18650 batterys for example that a few cage grip markers have used)

Sony kit uses 7.4v (8.4v~7.1v) NP-F / 7.2v FW50 / 7.2v FZ100

If the voltage is unstable or not regulated well then Sony bodys will not be very happy and will go into a safe mode or a soft reset or with older equipment try to work and crash mid way, if there is too much or not enough amprage on power on that can also have the same effect.

Thanks. I am using the Neewer adapter that is meant to be used with a standard 5V battery bank.  It works fine, once it is working, and I have not any trouble with it at all, except for when I first insert it and turn the camera on.  For example and clarity.  Say I have been out in the field using a regular battery, and then I return to the studio to shoot some long videos. While the camera is in the off state, I removed the battery and insert the dummy battery adapter that is connected to a large 20,000 mAh battery bank (like you would use to charge a smartphone). Then, I turn the camera on and the first thing that greets me is the Date and Time setup menu, which has been reset to default. I go through that and get the date and time set up correctly and the camera now functions normally, never asking to set the time and date up again., as long as I don't remove the dummy battery adapter. I can turn the camera off and on at will and the camera will function normally.  But, if I ever remove the dummy battery adapter and reinsert it, I will have to set up the time and date again. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2023 at 4:37 PM, TheJungleExplorer said:

Thanks. I am using the Neewer adapter that is meant to be used with a standard 5V battery bank.  It works fine, once it is working, and I have not any trouble with it at all, except for when I first insert it and turn the camera on.  For example and clarity.  Say I have been out in the field using a regular battery, and then I return to the studio to shoot some long videos. While the camera is in the off state, I removed the battery and insert the dummy battery adapter that is connected to a large 20,000 mAh battery bank (like you would use to charge a smartphone). Then, I turn the camera on and the first thing that greets me is the Date and Time setup menu, which has been reset to default. I go through that and get the date and time set up correctly and the camera now functions normally, never asking to set the time and date up again., as long as I don't remove the dummy battery adapter. I can turn the camera off and on at will and the camera will function normally.  But, if I ever remove the dummy battery adapter and reinsert it, I will have to set up the time and date again. 

Hi I had the same thing, but only the first time i used the adapter. After that it stayed. But I must say that sometomes the camera behave a little strange,, seems to be hanging and yesterday I had strange coloroed lines around the display.

It was an adapter fro m Aliexpress. Maybe I should check the voltage and the signal  that comes out of it with my oscilloscope.

Do not want to ruin my A6300. Maybe ther are adaters that can be used with two of the originall batteries, that would be safer. I go look into that.