a7IV audible noise

My first reaction was “is this a reference to the mechanical shutter noise?” - after all, the shutter is close to the sensor…

But if referring to the built in microphone, I assume this must be video, and I don’t know if video on the A7IV or A7RII (the title says A7IV, but the tag says A7RII?) uses the mechanical shutter - does it? Or is video always electronic shutter?

@cutman - what is the sound you are hearing?

Have you considered getting an external microphone? - lots of people use Rode microphones, for example.

5 hours ago, FunWithCameras said:

I assume this must be video, and I don’t know if video on the A7IV or A7RII (the title says A7IV, but the tag says A7RII?) uses the mechanical shutter - does it? Or is video always electronic shutter?

Video (at least in modern cameras) always uses the electronic shutter. I don't know of any camera that can do 25-30 fps with the mechanical shutter. Let alone the noise is would make 🙉

12 hours ago, Pieter said:

Video (at least in modern cameras) always uses the electronic shutter. I don't know of any camera that can do 25-30 fps with the mechanical shutter. Let alone the noise is would make 🙉

There is a reason why the term “shutter angle” exists - film movie cameras did not use the same kind of shutter as stills cameras 🙂 

I didn’t think it would be using the mechanical shutter, but it was the only thing I could think of that might be making a noise near the microphone.

maybe the OP can give us a better idea of what the noise is like? Maybe it’s some kind of electronic noise?