Sony A7RV: ISO range @ max 102400, but can only choose 32000

rda

Why is it that I have my range set to 102400 but the max ISO i can choose is 32000?

I'm shooting movies in slog3 and in a dim apartment, and trying to expose to the right, can't get my zebras to show up at 32000. I need to bump up the ISO more, but the camera doesn't let me.

thanks for the help.

My guess would be that in slog3 the camera can only shoot in 'real' ISO (which maxes out at 32000). When exposing to the right it makes no sense at all to shoot in the fake/extended ISO range: it doesn't give you any more dynamic range or shadow detail compared to raising brightness in post.

thanks for that. I knew there was a lower limit of 800 on my camera, but you're still "allowed" to go under... the ISO numbers have a line above and below to indicate, but there's no indication as to why you can't go over. I'm finding that in a dim (but no so dim) room at night that I can't get my zebras to appear at 94 for slog3, so I'm underexposing. I'd like to turn the ISO up as that's my only option besides lighting (which I dont have in every situation), but now I'm learning I can't. I thought slog3 was supposed to be good in low light but wondering now if to use something else for low light shots?

I know you might want the most dynamic range, but if you are shooting in a dim apartment and you have to raise the ISO to 32000, slog3 is not a good idea.

Try slog2,  and for best lowlight performance try Cine1, that is the lowlight king but with lower dynamic range compared to Log.

You can see some sample footage here using Cine1

Here are a couple Picture Profile Recipes I've been working on for the past couple years with the purpose of replicating the film look on sony digital cameras.

you've been really helpful w/ all my posts! I will check out Cine1, but at the moment playing with HLG3... not sure how it compares, but trying to minimize the number of profiles I use at least now since it's all so overwhelming starting out... will watch the vid now!