Testing Cards - How will I know if it's fast enough?

rda

Hello. I have a few cards that don't say v30, but I saw some videos where one can test to see if in fact they are fast enough.

E.g. I have a Sony 64GB Class 10 UHS-1/U3 SDXC up to 94MB/s

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Memory-SF64UX2-TQ-VERSION/dp/B00X140BEW/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3B03CIHAVQLS&keywords=sony+sdxc+64&qid=1678885962&refinements=p_89%3ASony&rnid=2528832011&s=electronics&sprefix=%2Caps%2C632&sr=1-9

It seems to be working trying to record XAVC S 4K, 30p, 140M 4:2:2, 10bit after about 5-10 min.

Can I trust that this will work then or might it crap out after longer shooting?

How do I know when it fails? Is there a warning or does it stop recording, or does one see it only in the quality of the file somehow, like video stutter or a corrupt file?

In terms of v30 cards which I also have, I'm likely only going to shoot as high as the above setting... will they all be fast enough? In what cases will they not be? e.g. slow motion, s&q, etc?

Best,

R

When I bought Sony camera; in the kit, the gift added was SanDisk Extreme 150MB/s; V30 128GB.

Starting video recording with top level features, works with that card and other cards similar type, capabilities; but if I put some other card, not capable enough, camera shows alert at the display.

In case, the videos are important, needed for some purpose, would not be recommended to play with some cards with lower specifications. Anything else, worth a try.

• 1 month later...

Many cameras do not test the actual performance of memory cards, only speed markers. That is why the new Sony A7m4, FX30, ZV-E1 cameras - require a speed marker on the card from V30 to V90. This is if we talk about SD drives. Here everything is like in SSD. Speeds are listed everywhere great, but in fact not all cards allow to use them for recording for a long time.

I recommend the Kingston Canvas React Plus UHS-II SDXC V90 Memory Card (300/260). I use the FX30 myself for DCI 4K XAVC S-I 24/25/50 fps and HEVC 50/100/120 fps recording. The SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-II cards are also decent. I've had less than a dozen SDs from Sony, it's hard to keep stats. And they are expensive.