Looking for help

Recently I postet the following question in this forum:

I recently purchased a Sony alpha 6600 (I had a DSLR for years). When I press the shutter button, the camera stays locked for 2-3 seconds. Is this the case with mirrorless cameras? My DSLR was immediately ready for a new shot. If I take a picture of a flock of birds, for example, it has long since flown away by the time the camera allows a new picture. That can't be! In continuous shooting mode, the camera is capable of taking photos in quick succession. Why not in single-shot mode?

Nobody was able to help me. Is there a support somewhere on the web that helps me with my problem?

Thanks alot!

Peter

Likely your camera is in some sort of shooting mode which causes a delay.

- 3 sec self timer? (orange light flashing on front-side of camera after pressing shutter button)

- some kind of HDR-mode? (You should hear several shutter clicks upon pressing the shutter button, after which the camera shortly goes black)

- some night-time photography mode (same as HDR-mode: several clicks followed by a short blackout)

A workaround for now: I always keep my camera in Continuous Shooting (Low) rather than Single Shot: if you press the shutter button once, it'll only take one shot. If you keep it pressed, it'll shoot at about 3 fps.

Hi Pieter

It's very kind to hear from you! Thank you very much. 

No, nothing of that! I even reset my cam to factory setting. The problem remains. In the first moment I was glad to hear that this behaviour isn't normal. But then you are proposing a (rather ugly) workaround. Does this mean that you also encountered this behaviour in your 6600?

The workaround helps possibly only half. Immediately after I make a shot I'm not only not able to shoot again but I also cannot readjust the zoom. Everything is blocked! And even after switch on the cam it takes another 2 seconds until it is ready to take a shot. I think this will not be solved with the wokaround.

Regards,
Peter

Pieter

I have to correct myself: I didn't do a reinitialisation of the cam but only a cam reset. Now when I did a reinitialisation the behaviour of the camera seems to be much better now.

Nevertheless after switch on the cam needs a lot of time to be ready for a shot. So if you see something that needs a very fast cam to get a quick shot the a6600 is definitely not the right cam! Would you agree?

Regards,
Peter

Glad to hear things are working better now, as the behaviour you described definately isn't as it should be. I don't have an a6600 but an a6500, should behave pretty similar.

I do recognize that it may take some time for the camera to start after switching it on, especially when it has been off for a couple of days or if you just swapped the battery. On a bad day mine takes about 5 seconds to start. After this 'initial startup', the camera starts much faster, about 1-2 seconds.

If I want the camera to be ready to shoot (e.g. during a hike), it often helps to switch the camera on and off at the beginning of the event. Switching it on afterwards seems to be much more responsive.