Do I need to update my camera?

Hi all. Newbie to forum here. My current photography gear consists of an A7r3 camera and a few lenses.

This is my work:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClmN2IYse41/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This camera has served me well the last few years but I’m wondering if, in anyone’s opinion, I could use an update, or is the A7r3 still a relevant enough camera for the time being?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I recently asked myself the same question, regarding my A7Rii, when the shutter started sticking.

I decided £200 for a new shutter was better than upgrading to an A7Riv.

I was tempted by the improvements in AF detection and higher resolution, but then realised I could use the money better, to reach more interesting locations, which is more relevant to what I want to get from my hobby.

4 hours ago, DavidShoots said:

I’m wondering if, in anyone’s opinion, I could use an update, or is the A7r3 still a relevant enough camera for the time being?

This is really a question only you can answer. People still make marvellous pieces of art with 100 years old photo techniques. A camera is relevant if it provides you with the tools to make the photo you want. Noone else cares what camera you use.

A question for you to help you answer your own question:

Does your A7Riii in any way limit you in taking the shots you want?

• If 'no': the camera is still totally fine.
  • If 'a little': can you accept the shortcomings, or can your skills compensate?
  • If 'yes': do newer models counter the limitations you experience with the A7Riii?

12 minutes ago, Pieter said:

This is really a question only you can answer. People still make marvellous pieces of art with 100 years old photo techniques. A camera is relevant if it provides you with the tools to make the photo you want. Noone else cares what camera you use.

A question for you to help you answer your own question:

Does your A7Riii in any way limit you in taking the shots you want?

• If 'no': the camera is still totally fine.
  • If 'a little': can you accept the shortcomings, or can your skills compensate?
  • If 'yes': do newer models counter the limitations you experience with the A7Riii?

Thanks for the reply.

It doesn’t limit me, no, I was merely wondering if there had been any significant image quality advances in newer mirrorless which I may need to consider.

The quality of my lighting will always determine how good the shot is but a new bad ass sensor will always be worth looking at!

Thanks,

1 hour ago, DavidShoots said:

I was merely wondering if there had been any significant image quality advances in newer mirrorless which I may need to consider.

Basically, no. Unless you absolutely need 20 frames/sec silent shutter. Then consider the A1. Otherwise you're totally fine.

53 minutes ago, Pieter said:

Basically, no. Unless you absolutely need 20 frames/sec silent shutter. Then consider the A1. Otherwise you're totally fine.

Thanks yeah and I should have pointed out. I shoot commercial fashion etc for clients, so as “premium” an image as possible is what my needs kind of are. Thanks again, Dave

Dave - have any of your clients complained about the quality of the work you submit or your ability to capture what they need during a shoot?

Unless that's the case I doubt you need a new body.

Do you have a spare? Maybe think about what you'd do on a shoot if your 7R3 died.

- Gary