Standard paper size aspect ratio

The international standard paper size is the "A" system (A5, A4, A3 etc) that has an aspect ratio slightly narrower than the 3:2 ratio offered in camera.

I know it is possible to customise or crop an image to fit the "A" ratio in editing (although even here I find I have to make a custom setting). Is it possible for Sony to offer the A ratio in their aspect ratio settings in camera? I'm sure this would be appreciated by the many photographers who print at home.

I'm sure Sony can offer any aspect ratio you want, be it 1.5:1 (35 mm film ratio), 1.333:1 (4:3 full screen ratio), 1.414:1 (ISO 216 paper ratio) 1.618:1 (golden ratio), 1.778:1 (HD 16:9 ratio), or any other arbitrary ratio you can come up with. But even if Sony made a custom aspect ratio equal to default print size, you'd still need scissors to manually crop the printing margins.

Thanks Pieter, printing margins are not a problem, as my printer can print borderless. The problem is that I have to make a custom mount when framing the print as an A3 mount leaves a white strip above and below the image, or the sides of the image are cut off. An "A"( or ISO 216) ratio would just make life so much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that when I want to leave a uniform border (say 1cm for mounting) around my A sheet (be it A4, A3, or A2), the image has to be cropped to a slightly different ratio, depending on the sheet size. So I've worked out the pixel dimensions I need, and crop and rescale to suit - I've found that rescaling in Photoshop gets me better prints than letting the printer do it.