Risk of headache

Watch your head when shooting at the moon with your Sony SEL200600G!

Please don't bump your head when you go on a photographic dream trip to the moon with your Sony equipment...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The crop shows all the wildness of the southern lunar hemisphere with the picturesquely illuminated crater rims of Clavius (center of image), Tycho (upper left) or Moretus and Newton (lower right).

Taken with the Sony A7R iii, the SEL200600G 200-600nm telephoto zoom and a SEL20TC 2x teleconverter.

To eliminate the air flicker 950 frames (each 1/200s exposure time, ISO-400 at 1.200mm focal length @ F13, taken using interval shots of the camera (1s interval)) were taken and teh best 10% processed in the free software packages PIPP and Autostakkert, finally sharpened in RegiStax and slight brightness adjustments in Photoshop.

Hello Birdman,

I don't know if it has to be almost 100 shots, but stacking many shots helps to reduce the flickering of the air and to bring out details.

Here I show an extreme section around the craters Clavius and Tycho. The single image can certainly be processed and sharpened even better, but in my opinion a difference will remain in the end to the stacking result.

By the way, I have already described my procedure in detail here in the forum:

And no, since I'm using the silent shutter mode, hopefully I'm not overusing the camera.

The shots are not handheld, no, should be difficult with such a high-resolution camera with 1/200s at 1.200mm focal length. With 950s recording time (15min...) also the arm should slowly hurt... I use either a stable tripod or an astronomical tracking system.

• 3 weeks later...

I shot this hand held with my Sony a9 + Sony 200-600mm