Top dial menu not customizing.

I recently purchased a new camera and attempted to customize the settings using the top dial. I tried setting 1 for 24fps, 2 for a frame rate of 30 and 3 for a frame rate of 60, but the shutter speed did not change on 2 and 3. What could be causing this issue?

• 2 months later...

You don't say which camera, but I think all the Sonys work the same way.

Customising the 1 / 2 / 3 modes is confusing, but it's simple once you understand the basic idea. DON'T start in the mode you want to customise - that's the key! Set up the camera exactly how you want it to be in the custom mode. Set the shutter speed, the shooting mode, focus area, everything. Then record the current setup into the mode you want to set - record it to 1 or 2 or 3. I can't tell you the menu to use to record the custom mode because I don't know which camera you are using, and it's in different menus depending on the camera.

I tried customising 1 by turning the dial to 1 then making changes - that just doesn't work. 

The good news is that you can set up a custom mode, turn the dial to that mode, and all the settings in that mode will be set, but then you can change a setting (say you change the shutter speed because you want a more staccato look) - that change will take effect immediately. Want to go back to what you recorded in the custom mode? Turn the dial to another setting, then back to your custom mode, and any change you made is gone. Basically, what you record as a custom mode is permanent until you record a new bunch of settings on top of it.

There is more to it, but that's essentially it - set up the camera how you want the custom mode to work, THEN record it in the custom mode.