Life expectancy a77

Series6

Loved my a77 up to October 21 when my screen, viewfinder and images turned blue.  Sent it back east to Sony’s recommended repair facility and it was returned with the note the board that failed is no longer available.  Had it since 2013. Don’t know the exact shutter count but expect it around 10,000 or less.  My Minolta 7xi failed about the same.  

whats a realistic life expectancy?  I’ve been shooting 50+ years film and digital.  My mechanical film cameras have much higher counts and still functional,  so I’m disappointed.  

yes, I’ll replace it.  Can’t be without n SLR/DSLR.  I shoot wildlife and concentrate on Wild Horses, Nevada/Arizona. 

first post, hope to contribute to the forum,  

Get used to  it.  Electronics don't last as long as mechanical.  In 100 years you will still be able to use a Minolta SRT.  In 10 years they won't even be making batteries for your "electronic wonder".  Planned obsolescence.   Hang on to you SRT.

Thanks for the replies.  Just bad luck I guess.  

In my collection I have an Exakta VX from the 50’s and a pre war Rolleiflex tlr that still function fine.  So on to the next.  

as I mentioned I primarily photograph Wild Horses, so I normally use a 70-300mm lens. Since you guys are obviously more current on the Sony product line, any recommendations for a replacement?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Assuming that you want to stick with the A-mount and the APS-C format -- because of the lenses that you have -- you have several options.  The good news is that most of these cameras are used and can be obtained for not much $$$.

But now would be a time to see if there are other A-mount APS-C format cameras that offer features that you wish you had.

Or, depending on your lens situation, if you want to move to full-format (A or E-mount.