Sony A7iii; No Audio At All

Hi all,

I've searched online from forums to YouTube, and apparently I am the only one who has run into this problem because no one has covered it.

No matter what I've done, my a7iii will not record audio. The internal mic does not work, and I have tried both wired, as well as wireless mics (Sony ECM-B10) to see if I could get something to work, with no luck. Having no success with the wireless mic that connects to the hot shoe makes me think this may be a software issue, but I made sure that I am running the latest firmware and still no good.

I do not get any sort of reading from either channel 1 or channel 2 when recording video, which tells me that nothing is being picked up at all.

I reached out to Sony and all they could do was walk me through a reset, which also did not work.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this? Any suggestions on what I could try? I am willing to try anything at this point.

Thanks in advance!

• 7 months later...

I know that the A7iii has issues with the external mic jack. I had to get mine replaced under warranty. Could be possible that the jack is shorted so not even the internal mic will work. ( as it's thinking that there is an external mic connected ). Maybe try working a external mic back and forth gently to see if that may free up something. 

Hope this helps

If there is no signal level being shown then there's no microphone connection.

Trying a hotshoe mike is clever - shows that the issue is not with the analogue path, because the hotshoe microphone should be digital.

Definitely time to get Sony to look at it.

There was another person who wasn't getting any audio, but it turned out they had headphone plugged into the external mike socket (yes, really!) - that's clearly not the problem you have.