A7riii vs a7riv

Greetings…. I need assistance from the Sony community with respect to the A7RVI vs A7RIII for aviation photography. I’m currently moving from Canon to Sony. I shoot a lot aviation photos. With aviation photography comes a great deal of cropping as the planes can be of a distance. My question comes from a megapixel count for cropping vs which has the better autofocus as planes sometimes are traveling 500 knots at 500 feet.

Which body would be the better choice aviation photography?

Thank you for your time and advice…. I’m looking forward to exploring the world of Sony!!!

I don't know how those cameras would fare as aviation cameras - either of them are far beyond my scope of purchase - but people have been taking pictures of planes and other man-made flying objects well, as long as they have been around.  Unless the aircraft is flying straight at you or flying perpendicularly away from you, the AF lagging behind the shutter should not be an issue and in almost all cases you would be shooting at infinity so internal lens movements to acquire focus should be at a minimum. 

If you are expecting to crop a lot, I guess a camera with higher resolution would be better for you but that also depends on what you are going to do with the image.  If you are going to be printing large mural sized prints, higher resolution image would be better but if you are going to print at or below 11x17 or not print at all, even a cropped image from my A7II will be good enough on any consumer grade monitors on the market.  I have seen images printed from the first generation Olympus OM-D E-M5 (16MP) at 11x17 and they were excellent.

• 6 months later...

The A7RV is the first model with specific autofocus for planes, but the A7RIII and A7RIV are both able to photograph planes, just using older-style autofocus.

If you are wanting to focus on high speed planes passing from one side to the other, maybe you should be looking at an A9 or A1…