A7iv self timer beep

TonyP

Along the same lines, I've got TWO cameras -- I can't get any sound out of either of them with the AUDIO SIGNALS set to ON.  No sound for auto-focus-confirmation or self-timer.

I'm really not interested in any sounds anyway, so it's not a problem for me, but it seems odd to have the same problem with TWO cameras.

Do you have to do something special to actually get sound?

3 minutes ago, XKAES said:

Not on my cameras -- other than to keep it OFF except when you want to use the self-timer.  Then set it to ON when you need it.  But for the self-timer, even if sound is OFF, you still have the red LED as a signal.

It’s seems like a lot of trouble to go to every time you want a silent self timer.  I want to use the 2 second timer as a delay when on a tripod but the beep is driving me and others around me nuts. 🥴

2 hours ago, XKAES said:

Do you have to do something special to actually get sound?

Could it be your cameras have a volume control for the beeps?  My Pentax K-5 has 5 levels of volume that the user can set but I have it on mute because I can't stand chirpy cameras.

9 minutes ago, TonyP said:

It’s seems like a lot of trouble to go to every time you want a silent self timer.  I want to use the 2 second timer as a delay when on a tripod but the beep is driving me and others around me nuts. 🥴

So, why would you want a beep to indicate focus confirmation, it's the same annoying chirp as the self timer's.  I don't see a need for an audio focus confirmation because in single shot mode, you can't even trip the shutter before acquiring focus.

1 hour ago, TonyP said:

I agree, but it is an option -- and is probably the only one.  How often do you use the self-timer?

9 hours ago, tadwil said:

So, why would you want a beep to indicate focus confirmation, it's the same annoying chirp as the self timer's.  I don't see a need for an audio focus confirmation because in single shot mode, you can't even trip the shutter before acquiring focus.

Totally agree. Turning off all audio signals is like the first thing any owner of a new camera should do. The focus confirmation beep is useless and does make your subjects (be it humans or animals) look disturbed/startled when trying to shoot them discreetly.

13 hours ago, XKAES said:

Not on my cameras -- other than to keep it OFF except when you want to use the self-timer.  Then set it to ON when you need it.  But for the self-timer, even if sound is OFF, you still have the red LED as a signal.

3 hours ago, Pieter said:

Totally agree. Turning off all audio signals is like the first thing any owner of a new camera should do. The focus confirmation beep is useless and does make your subjects (be it humans or animals) look disturbed/startled when trying to shoot them discreetly.

I see what your saying it’s just an option other manufacturers offer I guess I’ll get use to it

I’m a landscape photographer so the self timer is essential to me I don’t have to plug in a remote shutter release all the time. Nikon have a dedicated delay button for this separate to the self timer. It’s just working out my options 

If you want to use your self-timer as an alternative to a "cable release", most cameras have the option of choosing 2 seconds or 10 second delay -- so if you leave the BEEPS ON for focus-confirmation, you only hear the beeps for two seconds when using the self-timer.