Second part of the name: Image Editing; precisely: focus stacking

Maybe not used widely, anyway, it's being described at few places (interesting), some companies developed software for it, or at least software that may make final image from more photos.

It may be easy to find a reason to use focus stacking as depth of field many times covers just part of the "object" being photographed. Changing aperture cannot be done to cover everything.

Sometimes 5 or more photos are required. Taking the sharpest part of each and attaching it to the final image may look really amazing.

"Classic" way, using tripod, making more photos from the same place to the same object is start; Sony has no integrated focus stacking (bracketing) software in the camera bodies.

There was Freememories (with bunch of software for Sony cameras that may use official Sony Playmemories software), there were some nice examples of good apps, created for improvements at those fields where Sony has no appropriate solutions. One of those focus stacking; focus bracketing.

Cannot be sure, but seems that site is not available anymore, will try to check again.

Also, there are some 3rd party software solutions, must say, some of them from questionable sources, may not be recommended. Some others may be okay, but still, process should be simplified and prepared to be done to have best possible result.

It would be great if Sony software division will create additional feature, similar to exposure bracketing, which would be able to make 5, 10 or more photos with same exposure, but with different focus points (the range should be set with steps, maybe, just closest and farthest distances being set with the number of steps).

Or, to do all of that classic way?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 12:39 AM, Aldowski said:

Maybe not used widely, anyway, it's being described at few places (interesting), some companies developed software for it, or at least software that may make final image from more photos.

It may be easy to find a reason to use focus stacking as depth of field many times covers just part of the "object" being photographed. Changing aperture cannot be done to cover everything.

Sometimes 5 or more photos are required. Taking the sharpest part of each and attaching it to the final image may look really amazing.

"Classic" way, using tripod, making more photos from the same place to the same object is start; Sony has no integrated focus stacking (bracketing) software in the camera bodies.

There was Freememories (with bunch of software for Sony cameras that may use official Sony Playmemories software), there were some nice examples of good apps, created for improvements at those fields where Sony has no appropriate solutions. One of those focus stacking; focus bracketing.

Cannot be sure, but seems that site is not available anymore, will try to check again.

Also, there are some 3rd party software solutions, must say, some of them from questionable sources, may not be recommended. Some others may be okay, but still, process should be simplified and prepared to be done to have best possible result.

It would be great if Sony software division will create additional feature, similar to exposure bracketing, which would be able to make 5, 10 or more photos with same exposure, but with different focus points (the range should be set with steps, maybe, just closest and farthest distances being set with the number of steps).

Or, to do all of that classic way?

You finding are much better but it has some empty things. I was finding the same solution yet but was unable to find. I don't know where is actual solution of it. I'm still waiting.

• 3 weeks later...

At the official Sony Portal:

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/

there's:

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-000001

Bracket Pro "automatically bracket photos by shutter speed, aperture, focus or flash."

I did not try that (yet), from description it looks good; some limitations there (as there are some numbers as default in process) and, at the other side, it is not using only different focus at photos, so there are more features at the one app.

There is Openmemories free, available (not Freememories; as mentioned; the Openmemories is the name):

https://github.com/ma1co/OpenMemories-Framework

The Focus Bracketing is here:

https://github.com/obs1dium/FocusBracket

Have to say; as always, usage of any framework and utility, application, plugin is to be very careful and users are doing that on their own responsibility.

As mentioned, it's being tested only at the Sony A5100 with kit lens. From the description it looks, usage is very simple.

Anyway, now I am still using the "classic process"; making more photos from same position, aligning (if needed) and then using 3rd party utility.

I do need this feature rarely, so that's the main reason.

• 5 months later...

The PlayMemories approach to focus stacking only worked on older Sony cameras (I cannot be exact about when the cutoff was, but it was around the time they switched from FW50 to FZ100 batteries).

There are at least three ways to generate the images for a focus stack with a modern Sony camera.

1. the old-fashioned way - take a shot, move the lens focus ring, repeat - quite a tedious process. I think people stacking for macro may do it by moving the camera on a focus rail
  2. using an Android phone app (I don't use an Android phone, so I have not tried it, but there were some passionate users on DPReview's Sony forums) - I think it is called Camodoo, or something like that.
  3. using the new Sony A7R5 - the first Sony body to do focus bracketing - can capture up to 299 frames (generally takes a lot less). Images have to be stacked in the computer. I suspect we'll see focus bracketing including in future high-end Sony bodies (and possibly lower end ones, too).

Sony's Imaging Edge software is described as the software to stack the images from the A7R5, but they are regular RAWs (or JPEGs), so you can use other software that is purpose built to assemble stacks. Helicon and Zyrene are the two names I've heard mentioned most, although apparently PhotoShop can also stack (I haven't tried it, and I don't know how good a job it does).