The Pro Macro setup?

AntDX316

On 8/20/2022 at 7:57 AM, XKAES said:

Yes 25X is 25:1.  With your 90mm lens you'll need about four feet of extension tubes to get there.

And while you are studying macro-photography nomenclature, you should also study achromatic and apochromatic supplementary lenses -- they are quite useful.

Why 4 feet..? I can't get bug eyes in detail with 90mm and 240MP per shot? :(

Edited by AntDX316

13 hours ago, AntDX316 said:

Why 4 feet..? I can't get bug eyes in detail with 90mm and 240MP per shot? :(

It's just physics, no amount of technology can work around that.  If you want to shoot extreme macro, you will need to invest in some extreme macro gear and learn how to use them. 

Assuming you shoot at maximum magnification possible with your 90mm lens (1:1) at 240mp, cropping down to 60mp basically gives you a crop image that is 3:1.  Browse through the images in the link below to get an idea of how much magnification you need for the type of extreme macro photography that you might want to do.

https://www.nikonsmallworld.com/

On 8/23/2022 at 8:29 PM, tadwil said:

It's just physics, no amount of technology can work around that.  If you want to shoot extreme macro, you will need to invest in some extreme macro gear and learn how to use them. 

Assuming you shoot at maximum magnification possible with your 90mm lens (1:1) at 240mp, cropping down to 60mp basically gives you a crop image that is 3:1.  Browse through the images in the link below to get an idea of how much magnification you need for the type of extreme macro photography that you might want to do.

https://www.nikonsmallworld.com/

3:1 isn't enough? 

wow how much ratio is that embryo shot on that site?

Edited by AntDX316

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11Md3qbxPvnSbRHWUjR1UjSG_YKZrLVNH?usp=sharing

So I've pixel shifted 16 photos to 1, 7 or 8 times.

It doesn't seem it came out too good. It was like 1/5 per shot with 2000 microns between shots.

The bug wasn't entirely dead. It was on the floor and moving at times but not all the time.

Seems like the 90mm Macro can only go so far. The bug is small but not super small or way too big. I wanted super exceptional macro shots but after seeing how some people took HD embryo shots of a crocodile it seems that even if I get awesome bug eye shots it still isn't enough. I'm disappointed though as it seems my setup isn't enough to at least get good bug eye shots. : (

Silent shooting was off so no shutter shock.

Edited by AntDX316

13 hours ago, AntDX316 said:

The bug wasn't entirely dead. It was on the floor and moving at times but not all the time.

Seems like the 90mm Macro can only go so far.

As to the bug not being dead -- that's why I suggested a refrigerator.

As to a 90mm not getting close enough -- I said it's designed for 1:1 (1X).  If you want 25X, you need a much shorter lens -- or four feet of extension tubes. 

Sounds like a book on macro photography would be a better idea.  Try FIELD PHOTOGRAPHY by Blaker or CLOSE-UP PHOTOGRAPHY by Leibowitz.

2 hours ago, XKAES said:

As to the bug not being dead -- that's why I suggested a refrigerator.

As to a 90mm not getting close enough -- I said it's designed for 1:1 (1X).  If you want 25X, you need a much shorter lens -- or four feet of extension tubes. 

Sounds like a book on macro photography would be a better idea.  Try FIELD PHOTOGRAPHY by Blaker or CLOSE-UP PHOTOGRAPHY by Leibowitz.

link

• 2 months later...