A7RII vs a99 real life comparison

jackdevant

I shot with borrowed a7r2 whole day, ca 1400 frames. My main camera is a99 for last 2.5 years (i got two bodies), shooting them in average 70 000 shots per year. Now I used LA-EA3 and my a-mount lenses, 24-70 mm ZA, 70-200 G2 and 300 mm f2.8 G. All of my work was in-doors and stage photography. So, here are my quick observations.

Pros

• IQ is absolutely superior to a99. Biggest difference in low light, for example at ISO 6400. Subjectively 2 stops at least.
  • new focusing system works pretty well. Very low rate of out-of focus shots, most are tack sharp.
  • despite of rumors, 300mm f2.8 G focuses fast and accurately
  • EV compensation control is great! Tactile and accessible. Much better that a99 button plus wheel combination.
  • Live highlight zebra is very useful in combination with fast EV compensation

Cons

• Body size is ridiculously small. My fingers got heavy toll, operating such a small body with bigger lens. Not comfortable at all. Shutter button still in unnatural location.
  • back-plane buttons (review, function, etc) small, hard to find without looking to camera.
  • Battery life is super short. Almost unusably short. Thats because body is small and battery is sooo tiiinyy. Exactly the same battery what is found in my a5100.
  • Shutter lag. I shoot ballet and timing is essential. There is definitely something wrong with that. Missed 5x more jumps and fast moving positions etc what usually with my a99. I used front e-shuter mode.
  • Image review slow. Usually I switch auto-review off, because I have effects-on on the EVF. Still, during the shoot I tried to check photos, abt 50% times, camera was busy, writing files, not able to preview, This was really slowing my work down. Magnification is also painfully slow.
  • a7r2 + la-ea3 does not support my favourite 50 mm prime, Sigma 50 mm f1.4 Art.
  • new focus area modes like expand flexible spot not available, using a-mount lenses
  • can't move flexible AF spot around during the shoot
  • charger is slow and flimsy. Dual-battery charger with quick-charge capabilities with this camera is needed.

Conclusion

a7-family body is not there in usability and UX scale. Most of the technology is sorted out ina7r2, sensor is superior, but body too small. Waiting for a9 or a99II. If Sony builds mirror-less a99II, I would consider it.

I would use the battery grip to alleviate finger pain and create longer grip. Put in 2 battery at once.

Multiple batteries is a must; at least there small and tiny.

The RII max write speed is very slow for it's file size. It's 35MB per sec while 42MB raw size so continuous buffer clearing won't be good.

How was 24-70 & 70-200 with EA3? SSM II?

It's easy to move the flexible AF spot. While in flexible spot AF mode just press the CENTER button (assuming you haven't reassigned it) and use the arrow keys or scroll wheel to move the AF spot!

Oh, thanks for this hint. Wasn't that intuitive. 

I would use the battery grip to alleviate finger pain and create longer grip. Put in 2 battery at once.

Multiple batteries is a must; at least there small and tiny.

The RII max write speed is very slow for it's file size. It's 35MB per sec while 42MB raw size so continuous buffer clearing won't be good.

How was 24-70 & 70-200 with EA3? SSM II?

I shot with 24-70 mm F2.8 ZA, 70-200 mm F2.8 GII and 300 mm f2.8 G. They all focused reliably and fast, using mirrorless adapter and on-sensor PDAF. If Sony will bring out mirrorless a99II, I will buy. They made on-sensor PDAF usable, much better than CDAF A7s, Ive shot with 24-70 F4 and 50 mm FE ZA prime.

I'm also a die hard a99 user. and just got a chance to try the a7rII with my a-mount lenses.

I used LA-EA3 and those lenses passed the AF test:

Sony 16-35/2.8 ZA

Sony 24-70/2.8 ZA

Sigma 35/1.4 Art

Sigma 50/1.4 HSM

Sigma 85/1.4 HSM

Sigma 70-200/2.8 OS HSM

Tamron 90/2.8 Macro Di USD

Tamron 150-600/4.5-6.3 Di USD

And the only one cannot pass the AF test:

Sigma 50/1.4 Art

For the AF accuracy, I think a7rII is much higher than a99 due to Hybrid AF system (Phase+Contrast AF), however when it uses contrast AF to make AF confirmation it makes the Tamron 90 Macro hunting and difficult to confirm the focus, and it can't use the AF assist lamp therefore the AF is useless in some low contrast objects.

Actually I'm a wedding videographer and used a99 for my career for almost 3 years (a99 was annouced in September 2012), and now considering a camera for upgrade, I wished to wait for the a99II but Sony seems make me disappoint again and again. If there were still no news for the successor maybe I will change to a7sII and PMW-FS5 combo.

Regarding feel and battery life... I added the Sony grip, and I love it.  I have rather large hands, long fingers, and without the grip, my ring and little finger were always curled under the edge of the bottom.  With the grip, it's a much more comfortable feel especially for longer shoots.  Also helps to balance out larger lenses.  Add to that the extension of battery life, it's a win.  

This last Saturday I was shooting a string of portrait sessions most of the day, took 1489 shots, and never had to change batteries in the grip (although by the end of that, the second battery was down to about 10%).  A few days earlier, I shot a theatre production in silent mode (which would not be good for ballet due to the rolling shutter of silent mode) and got 1525 shots with about 50% of battery 2 left at the end.  People will say you can only get 300 shots on one battery, but that's not totally accurate.  It has less to do with the number of shots, and more to do with the length of time - and how much you use the rear screen.

Regarding feel and battery life... I added the Sony grip, and I love it.  I have rather large hands, long fingers, and without the grip, my ring and little finger were always curled under the edge of the bottom.  With the grip, it's a much more comfortable feel especially for longer shoots.  Also helps to balance out larger lenses.  Add to that the extension of battery life, it's a win.  

This last Saturday I was shooting a string of portrait sessions most of the day, took 1489 shots, and never had to change batteries in the grip (although by the end of that, the second battery was down to about 10%).  A few days earlier, I shot a theatre production in silent mode (which would not be good for ballet due to the rolling shutter of silent mode) and got 1525 shots with about 50% of battery 2 left at the end.  People will say you can only get 300 shots on one battery, but that's not totally accurate.  It has less to do with the number of shots, and more to do with the length of time - and how much you use the rear screen.

This is very interesting! How did your silent shutter perform otherwise. No other artifacts? Does it still provide same dynamic range and 14 bit RAW?

When I shoot performances with a99, I reverse LCD, so it's off at all times. Interesting, is it possible to switch off A7RII LCD?

In Silent Mode, supposedly it drops to 12-bit.  But that said, I did a lot of back-to-back testing between Silent and non-Silent during the first show I shot with it, and really couldn't see any visible difference between the two.  I think if you're planning to push levels VERY hard in post, you'd probably see a slight disadvantage with the 12-Bit files, but in my typical use, I couldn't find any.  Actors are SO appreciative of hearing nothing but my foot steps, it's worth it to me to lose those 2 bits.  I say you probably wouldn't want to use it for ballet, primarily because aside from 12-bit, it also has a slightly slower sensor readout which can result in rolling shutter (not a huge deal with an actor who's just talking, but a dancer leaping across the frame could likely end up looking distorted)

Yes, it's possible to turn off the LCD at all times.  You can also reprogram a button to turn it off at will

JackDevant, I agree that your experience is annoying. But, there are many forces at play.

It seems that SONY is focusing 100% on the E-mount for the future. Over the next 3-5 years, even SIGMA will begin making native e-mount lenses like your favorite 50mm ART lens. 

Canon too is re-doing its entire lens line with the EF-M lens series.

The only company that may not re-do their lenses is NIKON who are rumored to be developing a full frame mirrorless that accepts the nikon F mount. 

FYI, if you use the LA-EA4 adapter with your a7rii and SIGMA 50mm lens, it will work as the adapter has the screw drive to power the lens.

JackDevant, I agree that your experience is annoying. But, there are many forces at play.

It seems that SONY is focusing 100% on the E-mount for the future. Over the next 3-5 years, even SIGMA will begin making native e-mount lenses like your favorite 50mm ART lens. 

Canon too is re-doing its entire lens line with the EF-M lens series.

The only company that may not re-do their lenses is NIKON who are rumored to be developing a full frame mirrorless that accepts the nikon F mount. 

FYI, if you use the LA-EA4 adapter with your a7rii and SIGMA 50mm lens, it will work as the adapter has the screw drive to power the lens.

Sigma 50 mm Art has Hypersonic Motor-driven AF system, does not need external motor/screw drive. It's probably solvable by firmware fix.

Currently we dont know yet, what is Sony's path. Ditch my lens collection or not.

Who in the hell needs 1500 portrait shots!  I hope, you must all post process them over night!  LOL

There are several thoughts on A-mount to E-mount conversion, or A-mount future.

First, there is no motorized A lens to E-mount adapter without semi-transparent mirror. Most of A-mount lenses don't have internal motor - that are all Minolta and most of Sony and third-party lenses, including primes. Is it possible to have them auto-focused on a FE body with on-sensor PDAF?

Second, once Sony showed a prototype of large FE body with on-board FE to A adapter. If on-sensor phase autofocusing with motorless lenses is possible, the only sense of having semi-transparent mirror is a size of phase detection sensors. If the smaller on-chip sensors are enough for fast and reliable phase detection even at low light, there is no sense in having semitransparent mirror at all. And no sense for Sony to support two different mounts with two lines of lenses.

Who in the hell needs 1500 portrait shots!  I hope, you must all post process them over night!  LOL

The bulk were actor headshots, with a couple corporate clients mixed in.  Corporate clients aren't picky, usually end up with 30-50 shots for them to choose from, sometimes as few as 10 if they really don't like being in front of the camera.  Actors are extremely picky, as they rely on good headshots to land jobs - they usually end up with 300-400 shots to choose from, but I only edit a few of their top picks.

Conclusion

a7-family body is not there in usability and UX scale. Most of the technology is sorted out ina7r2, sensor is superior, but body too small. Waiting for a9 or a99II. If Sony builds mirror-less a99II, I would consider it.

Very useful information. Thank you for this comparison.

I had a chance to work with a7 cameras. Its body is too small for me. Despite the image quality of a7 I keep my A99 - perfect fit into my hand, image quality is still awesome. I love A99 but if there is no A99mII... i'll consider switching to Canon or Nikon (they do not give up so easily on their classic mounts)

Sony wants to be in Pro market, but giving no sign of the future of A-mount it is really not reliable to build a system for (my) professional use. Sigma Art 50/1.4 being not compatible with A7RII is another drawback - I was considering A7RII, but I am passing on this one - waiting for A9II - if nothing comes - by by Sony. Canon and Nikon are there for pro photographers - Sony where are you about this?

If Sony kills so easy any given mount, they can kill E-mount in two years just because their engineers invented "new and so much better for everyone mount" - Sony, please do not let people be upset by this situation. Why not to communicate better about A-mount. Sony, you said, you are going to continue with A-mount... I hope this is true. 

Cheers everyone!