Share your trigger setup.

paddy

I just received the Phottix Odin trigger.  I was back ordered for several months but finally arrived last week.  I have not had time to even use it yet but going tot the coast for a few days and look forward to learning the system.  If you want more info, check out the many YouTube videos by Gary Fong on off-camera flashes and techniques.

I have 4 main set-ups since i have A-Mount FF and APS-C and E-Mount FF and APS-C:

1) The cheap set-up consisting of up to 7 Minolta 320/320X/360PX flashes ( same bodies from the late "70's and early '80's but with slightly different features) used with iShoot PT-04 wireless triggers. I have all of the accessories for the above flashes like AC adapters, Panel sets( W1 and 2 diffusers, T 100mm tele fresnel lens, Color filters), Bounce reflectors and power grips. Flashes cost me around 25-30$ each, triggers are about 12$ each. Accessories were anywhere from 10-40$. I use this a lot (mostly 3 units at a time along with a Minolta Flashmeter V or Autometer Vf. This is all manual only with no HSS possibility and has proven very reliable considering price. i also have some PT-04 triggers with the Minolta/Sony auto lock shoe so i could mix/add native Minolta/Sony A-mount flashes.

2) The native wireless set-up consisting of Minolta/Sony flashes ( i have at least one of each Minolta 3600HS(D), 5600HS(D), Sony HVL-F36AM, F42AM, 43AM, F56AM, F58AM and HVL-F32M, F43M, F60M. Triggers can be any HVL-F20AM or M, F32M, F43AM or M, F58AM or F60M. These (even the 2001 Minolta's still work as they were designed back then in WL, HSS and some combinations even allow ratio lighting in 2 or 3 groups.

3) The native Cabled set-up consisting of the same Minolta/Sony Flashes ( add the Minolta 2500(D) that does not have WL capability) but cabled using an array of Minolta flash cables/ shoes /triple connector. I have all of the Sony adapters ADP-MAA, ADP-AMA, FA-CS1M plus the older Minolta shoes that allows a very complete combination of the above. This allows HSS (except with the 2500(D) or Sony's HVL-F20's) but no ratio.

4) The Phottix Odin WL system (the original one with the Minolta /Sony auto lock shoes) where i can use the same Minolta/Sony flashes with or without the adapters for the newer Sony MIS Flashes, but with little more control and distance. I also have a couple Phottix Strato II trigger/receivers that can work in Manual flash mode along the Odin's ( i can use them on a separate group to allow a mix of TTL and Manual in the same set-up) and the trigger/receiver of this with a cheap optional cable can be used as a radio controlled camera trigger. Weakness of this is twofold: Can not use a flashmeter since this system reproduces the pre-flash of the native system even in manual flash mode AND using non-chipped adapted lenses on E-mount cameras breaks some communication that the Odin system requires to operate properly so no more TTL/HSS or remote power control even in manual.

I would be curious to know if owners of the new Odin (or Mitros +) with the new MIS shoes suffer from the same adapted lenses weakness ????

I ordered the following Yongnuo flashes earlier in the year from Amazon, and have used them a few times for portraits and events.  They work great and even came with rechargeable batteries.  The flashes can act as Master/Slave, but I wanted a controller for off camera flash.  The controller will actually control up to, I believe, 6 groups of flashes in a ABCdef setup and it's RF wireless instead of infra-red like my old Canon gear was.  I looked at the Photix system but decided to hold out awhile longer and see what else comes out.  I really didn't need High Speed Sync since I can use a ND filter when wide open and have more power to work with from a single flash.  Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a Odin system but for a fraction of the price I have a complete system with the Yongnuo and if anything happens to it, it's cheap enough to replace without putting off a car payment.   ;)

For just remote triggering when I don't want to use timer mode or the remote app on my phone I use Aputure Trigmaster Plus triggers.  I originally bought these for my Canon flash system but after I got rid of the Canon I realized they work great with the Sony too.  They will work for off camera flash but I use them for remote triggering.  I did have to buy a Stereo to Sony adapter for $5 but that it's worked great.  It will even focus with a partial press and then activate the shutter with a complete press, and bulb mode works too.  They have a really long range and are a supposed to be able to act as relays so you can link from one to another for even greater distance.

For quick family photos I use the cheap Sony IR remote but if I'm in bright sunlight or want a long range I reach for the Aputure triggers.

YONGNUO YN560-TX LCD Flash Trigger Remote Controller (Canon version since it's just a generic hotshoe connection) - $40

YONGNUO YN560 IV YN-560IV Wireless Flash - $75 for 2 flashes

Aputure Trigmaster Plus Kit (2x Transceivers) - $75

DSLRKIT 2.5mm-S2 2.5-S2 stereo Remote Shutter Connecting Cord - $5

I recently made the switch from Canon to Sony and was dismayed to find out my flashes were not truly supported (you lose a lot, like HSS, TTL, FEC, SS, etc). It's basically just a trigger at that point, max sync of about 1/250 for me. I'm using the Yongnuo 568 flashes with the 622 triggers.

So far my solution has been the same as azradiohead, just use an ND filter. It's not the same thing, but I can manage for now and continue to wait for someone to get their act together and offer a strobe that supports Canon, Nikon and Sony. =)