Weird straight line patterns at high ISO

Hello everybody!

I have an issue with my Sony A7iii. When I shoot at a high ISO (20000 and upwards) my camera produces images with strange line noise patterns (see image below).
This is especially annoying since it's hard to fix in post and just looks plain ugly.
This effect only occurs in dark areas of the image so it makes low light photography, especially outside at night, pretty much impossible.

One thing me and my friend found out is that it has something to do with RAW compression (or lack there of). When compression is off, these artifacts occur, whereas when it is on,
the striping is gone but the overall image is a little less sharp and more grainy.
But the strange thing is, the striping does not happen at all with my friends's camera (identical body and lens). So maybe there is an issue with the sensor? I am seriously at a loss here,
any advice would be appreciated.

Some additional info: When comparing, we used the exact same camera settings and I use mechanical shutter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

19 minutes ago, Kaiser Knusprig said:

Some additional info: When comparing, we used the exact same camera settings and I use mechanical shutter.

I assume this means you are using the same shutter speed and f-stop.  What was the shutter speed that was used?  Did you both use LONG EXPOSURE NOISE REDUCTION and/or HIGH ISO NOISE REDUCTION? -- assuming your camera has these.

31 minutes ago, XKAES said:

I assume this means you are using the same shutter speed and f-stop.  What was the shutter speed that was used?  Did you both use LONG EXPOSURE NOISE REDUCTION and/or HIGH ISO NOISE REDUCTION? -- assuming your camera has these.

Thanks for the answer!

Yes I was mainly talking about ss and f stop, but our menu settings should be completely the same. Both of use did not use either noise reduction.
While comparing our ss was at around 1/2000. The image I provided had 1/25.

57 minutes ago, Kaiser Knusprig said:

While comparing our ss was at around 1/2000. The image I provided had 1/25.

I don't quite understand this.  Why send us a photo that's different from the one that you say is problematic?

Also, since you are using such a high shutter speed, why not just lower the ISO?

How you run tests are other ISO settings?  Does it still happen?

And why not use HIGH IEO NOISE REDUCTION?

Edited by XKAES

9 hours ago, XKAES said:

I don't quite understand this.  Why send us a photo that's different from the one that you say is problematic?

Also, since you are using such a high shutter speed, why not just lower the ISO?

How you run tests are other ISO settings?  Does it still happen?

And why not use HIGH IEO NOISE REDUCTION?

The attached photo is problematic, this effect occurs anytime I use high ISO. The pictures me and my friend took to compare our cameras had high shutter speed on purpose in order to up the ISO 🙂

High ISO NR isn't available while shooting in RAW (at least on the model of camera I use).

You say you are using mechanical shutter, but is the electronic front shutter setting switched on? if so, try it without.

The issue appears to be the banding, rather than noise - it is just exaggerated by the noise, (I can see the banding all across your image)

If you use post processing, then I wouldn't bother with High ISO noise reduction in camera as it takes as long as the actual shot, and is easier to deal with in post. (ON1 Nonoise Ai)

4 hours ago, thebeardedgroundsman said:

If you use post processing, then I wouldn't bother with High ISO noise reduction in camera as it takes as long as the actual shot, and is easier to deal with in post. (ON1 Nonoise Ai)

I guess you are referring to 'long exposure noise reduction'. We had a discussion about this before, and the reason why it should be left on in-camera rather than dealing with it in post:

10 hours ago, thebeardedgroundsman said:

You say you are using mechanical shutter, but is the electronic front shutter setting switched on? if so, try it without.

The issue appears to be the banding, rather than noise - it is just exaggerated by the noise, (I can see the banding all across your image)

Hello and thanks for the reply!

Just checked, e-front shutter is not turned on.
I don't think it is banding to be honest since this effect does not occur at all on my friend's camera. In addition, this pattern seems too evenly distributed and symmetrical to be colour banding.
Or are you talking about some kind of banding I don't know about?

Greetings

On 5/17/2022 at 7:33 AM, thebeardedgroundsman said:

Hi Kaiser

The banding I am talking about are those vertical stripes. It is the even nature of the stripes that suggests to me it is something to do with the shutter.

You've probably checked this, but is "silent shooting" turned off?

Sorry for the late response!

I rarely use silent shutter so yes, it's off.
If it's the shutter's fault, shouldn't those lines be visible regardless of whether or not I shoot in uncompressed RAW? As it stands right now, the pattern disappears as soon as I use compressed RAW.