Lenses for α7R IV

kutu

Hello,

I just bought the α7R IV 61 MP camera, I am wondering what lenses to get. I want one that is general purpose such as people, objects, cars and then a wide one for doing scenery.

Could anyone recommend which lenses would be best? I used to have the first ever Sony NEX and it seems they've come quite a distance since then. 

You'll get a million responses to your question.  Much depends on much much you want to spend and what's important, like is weight very important?  Get an all-in-one lens like a 24-200mm.  Weight, price, and ease of use not so important? Get two lenses, like a 17-35mm and a 28-300mm.  Got even more money, get three lenses, etc.

I own the A7R4 too and I cannot recommend the 24-200 for general purpose at all. I tried hard to like it but it fails even with a 24MP A7M3 in terms of sharpness. In the meantime I replaced the 24-200 with the Tamron 28-200 and I love it! Its a pin-sharp lens and even AF is ok, which is not always the case with third party lenses.

If you are looking for a single general purpose lense, then the Tamron is the one to go with.

If you are willing to change lenses, ok then @XKAES is fully right - there will be million of options and opinions...

Edited by G-FOTO.de

With 61 Mp you probably want best quality and modern lens you can afford.

For quality, I have gone to prime lenses on my 42 Mp camera, but use GM zoom for wildlife - due to the fast auto focus.

My general purpose lens is G  - 24-105, but you'll probably find this is no longer the best lens for 61Mp.

I often use myVoightlander 50mm manual focus lens as my walk-around lens.

I love my Zeiss Loxia 35mm manual focus for scenery (lovely colour and "pop") - why manual with a modern camera? Sony makes manual focus easy and you have full artistic control.

8 hours ago, thebeardedgroundsman said:

I love my Zeiss Loxia 35mm manual focus for scenery (lovely colour and "pop") - why manual with a modern camera? Sony makes manual focus easy and you have full artistic control.

You're walking on thin ice here.  Next thing you know, you'll be suggesting manual exposure too!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends!

I have a a7r4 since a year..... and consider that general purpose is not suitable for this big camera.....

If you can get them,..... sony 17-35, sigma 24-70 & tamron 70-180, all of them F2.8..... and Sony 200-600 for close the circle.... they are expensive but not the most..... 

Best regards!

Edited by jfk70

• 1 month later...

I bought a new A7R4 last month and had the same challenges.  So far I have tested and purchased 3x prime lenses: Sony 24 2.8 G, Sony 35 1.4GM and Sigma 45 2.8.  Very pleased with all of them.  Contemplating a portrait lens, probably Sigma 85 1.4 and a general purpose zoom, probably the new Sony 24-70 2.8 GM.

There are lots of good reviewers (and a lot of not-so-good reviewers!).  Best for me were Dustin Abbott and CameraLabs.  But other recommendations abound.

Good luck!

Moving from Fujifilm to a A7Rii [last of the new ones] last year I too wanted to get the most from the 42m sensor. As speed is not important but image quality is doing mainly landscapes I chose the Zeiss Batis 18mm 2.8 as my main lens. Very pleased with its performance so far. At the moment the only other lens I have is a Sony 28mm f2 as a walk about, I like it but some may put it done.

I know this goes against the popular choice but primes and zooms around the 50mm standard don't interest me that much and am looking at the Samyang 135mm f2 as my next purchase. This is hopefully be close to my Fuji 90mm f2 which I would say was there sharpest lens even at f2.