Best Super Zoom for Sony a7r3 - Sony 200-600 or Sigma 150-600 E mount

Hi,

I shoot primarily wildlife and birds with a Sony a7r3, and am replacing a Sigma 150-600 with an MC11 adapter. I've narrowed the choice down to a Sony 200-600, or a Sigma 150-600 E mount. I've read conflicting opinions about the Sony 200-600 and it's ability to focus on fast moving subjects with this camera. I like the focal length of the Sigma better, but quick auto focus and sharp focus is more important. Any input would be very appreciated.

Thank you

Just moving to a native e mount lens should improve the AF functions, to what degree, you should try to sift through online reviews to decide between the two lenses that you prefer.  If you sift through the forum regarding the Sony 200-600, some of these lenses seem susceptible to zoom creep.  Do a search here on the forum and decide for yourself.

In terms of AF, native lenses like the Sony 200-600 will usually give better results. I am not familiar with the A7R3 and do no not know the behaviour of this combo. What I can say is that my A7R4 and my 200-600 do not like each other too much, when it comes to AFC and tracking. Hit rate is mediocre compared to my A9II or A7M4. If you search the web, you will find many complains about the A7R4 paired with the 200-600. And the AF system of the A7R4 is more advanced than the one of the A7R3.

I really would recommend to make a test first, before you buy. Maybe even rent the lens for a couple of days and see how it performs with your A7R3.