USB Connect Failure

I have a Sony Alpha 7 iii, Firmware 4.0.

When cable connected from camera body to Windows 10 USB port, camera display shows "USB Mode Connecting to Mass Storage" followed by "Check the connected device."

USB Connection = Mass Storage

USB LUN Setting = Single (also tried Multi)

USB Power Supply = On

I have tried 2 different cables, different ports, different computers.

I have powered off/on, removed/reinstalled the battery, removed/reinstalled the memory chip (which is readable by computer).

Issue started the morning after an overnight charge via USB which successfully charged the camera to 100%.

Using the cable that came with the Sony?

It's a special cable of sorts and others may or may not work at various times on various computers. I've labeled mine so l know it's the Sony provided one after many bouts of success & then failures by grabbing any orphaned cable laying about. Using Sony cable with Sony camera has never failed me after finding that important distinction.

- - - - - 

Might be a difficult search. There are no SONY  branding marks on mine other than the USB indicator on the fat end and a USB indicator with an accompanying B on the smaller / camera end.

Edited by VTC

Cables. Sony is using Multiport for data and charging. Also, microusb at Sony different environments (includes more than just cameras) are both 5-pins and 11-pins. All should work without issues using standard cables from other companies, brands in the ideal situations. Unfortunately; many times it's far from being ideal, must mention the example: ASUS (specific tablet) <-> OTG cable, it must be as projected just and only for that ASUS, in shops it is being sold as specific one, it may be made DIY with tools and a bit of enthusiasm. Spent a lot of time on that issue; it moves the word "proprietary" to the next level. Of course, it is not only ASUS related issue.

In this case, there may (should) be an option in the menus, to change the "nature" of the interface (USB Mode or Mass storage mode); also, the connector at the camera side or computer side may be broken (charging may still work as that cable pair is okay, still other(s) are not). Anyway, as it's showing Mass storage; seems that it's not the case.

From official site:

Computer doesn't recognize the USB connection from a camera

This just in to my brain.... I recall where other people were having problems due to a Google something service running in the background, Drive perhaps? Once they killed that all things worked so explore that avenue.

This USB cable was included with my recently acquired A6000: Model EC450.  Googling EC450 got many hits across Europe, UK and the US but unavailable in Canada.  It may have been officially discontinued, so if anyone wants to find the genuine OEM USB cable, you will have to act fast.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Mine's thinner and without that massive growth on it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 year later...

I guess there are DATA cables nad POWER cables on the market. While POWER cable is enough to charge your device (i.e. camera battery), DATA cable (which interconnects more pins then Power cable) is needed to communicate. 

On 1/22/2024 at 7:49 AM, prakticant said:

I guess there are DATA cables nad POWER cables on the market. While POWER cable is enough to charge your device (i.e. camera battery), DATA cable (which interconnects more pins then Power cable) is needed to communicate. 

What you are talking about is the difference between various USB-C cables. This is different - this is a mongrel cable that Sony invented which looks like a micro-USB cable, but has extra pins connected (for things completely unrelated to USB - things like shutter release (directly, not as a USB function).

On 3/29/2022 at 6:06 PM, Aldowski said:

Cables. Sony is using Multiport for data and charging. Also, microusb at Sony different environments (includes more than just cameras) are both 5-pins and 11-pins. All should work without issues using standard cables from other companies, brands in the ideal situations. Unfortunately; many times it's far from being ideal, must mention the example: ASUS (specific tablet) <-> OTG cable, it must be as projected just and only for that ASUS, in shops it is being sold as specific one, it may be made DIY with tools and a bit of enthusiasm. Spent a lot of time on that issue; it moves the word "proprietary" to the next level. Of course, it is not only ASUS related issue.

In this case, there may (should) be an option in the menus, to change the "nature" of the interface (USB Mode or Mass storage mode); also, the connector at the camera side or computer side may be broken (charging may still work as that cable pair is okay, still other(s) are not). Anyway, as it's showing Mass storage; seems that it's not the case.

From official site:

Computer doesn't recognize the USB connection from a camera

That's correct - it looks like a micro-USB, but there are extra pins.

The easiest way to get the right cable is to order it as a Sony spare part. The same cable is used across a lot of Sony bodies, so look for it on the local spare parts site (if you go to your country's Sony site, you'll probably find a link to the spare parts site) - I don't know what it is in the OP's country.