Coloured pixels in my images

Hi all,

I went shooting last night and now I'm looking at my images. They all have these coloured pixels in them (see image - 100% zoomed in). Are they stuck or hot pixels? Did they appear because I used high iso and long exposure? Anyone an idea? Is there something I should do so it doesn't happen again?

Thanks for your help, Chris

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

High ISO or long exposures will cause this -- especially if you have high ISO AND long exposures.  You have two options to avoid this:

1. Use a lower ISO -- this means you will have longer exposures or a wider f-stop -- or make sure you have HIGH ISO NOISE REDUCTION turned on to HIGH (see your manual).

2. Use a shorter exposure time -- this means you will have a wider f-stop or higher ISO -- or make sure you have LONG EXPOSURE NOISE REDUCTION turned on to HIGH (see your manual).

Edited by XKAES

Long exposure of any sort will cause the noise you have seen in your shots because of the heat generated by the camera operating for a prolonged time.  The generally accepted method is to shoot series of dark frames of the same exposure settings and time with the lens cap or the body cap on to prevent any light from hitting the sensor then stacking the dark frame with the exposed night shot you have made previously. 

Here is a link which will give you a far more detailed explanation than I can ever hope to give: https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/astrophotography/astrophoto-tips/understanding-using-dark-frames-astrophotography/ just google dark frame astrophotography and you will find more links to browse at your convenience.