Sony A77 MkII LCD Display Screen needs replacing.

RetiredTD

Good morning,

The LCD Display screen has failed on my 2015 manufacture Sony A77 MKII and needs to be replaced. 

I have been given quotes from a variety of companies which amount to £250 plus VAT and would take roughly 6 weeks to complete the repair.

Being an 82year old I think that it might just be worth giving it a try myself, but asking this Forum for advice on where I may purchase the parts as I cannot find any UK suppliers at this moment in time.

Also has any other member undertaken the work of replacing a LCD Screen themselves.

Kind regards

Robert.

I learned something new today.  I did not know later model A-mount cameras were in fact mirrorless (more or less),  What does that have to do with your problem?  If the EVF mirrors what you see in the rear LCD panels and vice versa, you can establish a wireless connection with your smartphone and use your phone to review images in place of the rear LCD panel.  It's a bit of a cumbersome workaround but it won't cost you anything and you might like reviewing images on the much larger screen of your smartphone.

LCD panel replacement parts are almost always available from China, I have never seen any available domestically (Canada for me).

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/153263325107?hash=item23af34bfb3:g:2zoAAOSwoBtW4-ZW

And sorry no, I have no experience in camera body repair - I wouldn't have the guts to attempt it.

tadwil Many thanks for your input and very interesting comments of which I will look into with great interest.

I find taking pics through the limited space given by the "eye-piece" rather awkward as I wear specs.

I have sourced a replacement LCD Display screen from a company in Poland, so I will give it a try later when it arrives in mid-April.  Working carefully I think that the LCD Screen is far enough away from the main boards of the camera, I should be OK but, if I do not feel confident enough while I am taking that part to bits then I will reassemble and call it a day.

Looking at videos on the internet on this repair procedure it look manageable, only time will tell, and in the meantime I will look into your "kind suggestion". 

Kind regards...

I have seen the YT video of the LC screen replacement and it looks quite straight forward.  As the LCD screen is articulated taking out the old screen should be much easier than a camera with a fixed screen.  One thing to note, you will need to use JIS screwdrivers instead of the regular Phillips driver.  The angle of attack on the Phillips driver is different from JIS driver and you might end up mangling the screw head should you go ahead with the regular Phillips driver.