New A7ii won't turn on

A/C adapter are inexpensive -- check your manual for details.  That would be an inexpensive way to determine if the problem lies with the battery or the battery power system. 

If the A/C power works, then use a new battery.  The problem could be a defective battery or a defective battery charger.

5 hours ago, alasdairmac said:

I'm with Tadwil on this (apart from his somewhat ignorant final sentence - not everyone can afford or want to spend the money on the very latest model Mr Tadwil)   Get it back to where you bought it and have them replace it.

How is it ignorant?  If you bought a new camera from a reputable dealer and it stops working the second time you turn it on, wouldn't you think you picked up a dud, a lemon?  The OP should take it back and get a replacement or his money back.

FYI, The production end of Sony A7II was announced by  Sony in November and confirmed a month later all A7II models would be discontinued.  There are still brand new A7II models available if the retailers had inventory of them prior to Sony announcement.

I wouldn't say I have the very latest or even a modestly later model, seeing as I have only the lowly, discontinued A7II and even older A6000.🙂

Rod says he has a "new A7ii".  To me that can be a new, out of the box, under warranty camera, or simply new to him and not under warranty.  That will narrow his options.

In either case, if his "new" camera happens to have an A/C adapter, it would be the obvious approach to try first.

18 hours ago, tadwil said:

How is it ignorant?  If you bought a new camera from a reputable dealer and it stops working the second time you turn it on, wouldn't you think you picked up a dud, a lemon?  The OP should take it back and get a replacement or his money back.

FYI, The production end of Sony A7II was announced by  Sony in November and confirmed a month later all A7II models would be discontinued.  There are still brand new A7II models available if the retailers had inventory of them prior to Sony announcement.

I wouldn't say I have the very latest or even a modestly later model, seeing as I have only the lowly, discontinued A7II and even older A6000.🙂

If I interpreted you wrongly then I apologise unreservedly. I assumed you were suggesting that he had deliberately purchased an inferior model, i.e. a "Lemon"

I have A7ii and A3000; never had an issue with A7ii when turning it on (have original Sony, and other brand batteries). Both cameras use same batteries type.

Similar / same issue when turning the camera on, I had with Sony A3000. Unfortunately, it seems not to be described, explained well at all at Sony site.

I was able to fix the issue by removing battery from camera, then pressing shutter button for 30 seconds or more (one minute), to "empty capacitors" (not exactly clear if the "solution" is really related to it). After that, I just placed the battery into camera again, it started to work. And, yes, I already tried with different (fully charged batteries) it did not resolve the issue. For me, mentioned fix worked.

Hope this helps.