A7IV location keeps turning off

I'm using the A7IV with the Imaging Edge app on Pixel 5a android phone, and keep running into a problem where the location will randomly turn off while I'm out taking photos.  Strangely, if I leave my camera off for a day and take my phone out of bluetooth range, when I come back, the location will usually still be working.  But if I'm out walking around and turn my camera off and on, even with my phone nearby, some fraction of the time the location will turn off in the app.  Sometimes I've even turned on the camera, the location icon comes up, but then the app has somehow disabled location permissions.  I tend to like to shoot with the level or histogram displays, which unfortunately don't show the location icon, so I don't realize what's happening and take a bunch of street photos without location.

I've configured the android app to give it all permissions and disable battery optimization.  I've also tried with and without the "Cnct. while Power OFF" option on the camera, and it makes no difference.  The app is constantly running in the background usually giving me one or two persistent notifications (which is kind of annoying, particularly when my camera is not nearby and I'm not using it--I wish it could be more like bluetooth headphones where the proprietary app has a notification only when the headphones are nearby, but that's a different topic).  This doesn't seem to be a question of android killing the app.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Any advice on making location more reliable with an android phone?

• 1 month later...