Zeiss Distagon T* 25mm f/2 ZF.2

Christo25

I had this lens and used it for a while with my A7R.  My copy was sharp us close and was still sharp at infinity, and had decent bokeh for a wide angle; it was a very, very good lens.  But I put mine on Craigslist when the Batis 25 was announced and I am very happy with the decision.  I have already taken about 300 shots with my new Batis 25 and it is simply a fantastic lens.  I bought it partially for the autofocus, but mostly because of the electronic communication with the camera.  I have been shocked to discover as added bonuses that it is even sharper than the Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 and has really, really nice bokeh wide open.

Thanks for that info Jimmy. I don't mean to question your judgement here but are you positive the Batis is sharper than the ZF.2?? I know they are different lenses with the ZF having an extra element I think. Basically, I just want to make sure you are confident that the Batis is the better lens because if it is then sweet as the autofocus is handy to have as well!!

Hi Christo25.  I did not own both lenses at the same time, so I never had a chance to do a head to head test, and so I have no hard evidence to point to.  But sharpness matters a lot to me (probably too much), and my subjective observation on the Batis 25 images is consistent razor sharpness to a degree that I did not see in my ZF.2 images.  And I am always paying attention to sharpness.  Now its possible the adapter had a part in this, but I was using a high quality Novoflex adapter.  So not 100% sure, but a high degree of confidence.  What I am extremely confident of is that the Batis is at least as sharp as the ZF.2, and IMHO has nicer bokeh and better colors. 

Interesting, I will wait until people start posting some RAW files online. Luminous Landscape posted some jpegs to download at 100 percent but I wasn't very impressed with the results I could see there but the reviewer doing it may have not been so fussy with the focusing, who knows?