Sony A6400 aps-c camera body and the Sony LA-EA3 Mount Adapter compatibility

orobas

Hi folks..

I have a Sony A6400 camera which is an aps-c sensor mirrorless and up to now i have been using native e-mount lenses or canon ef-s lenses via a canon to sony e-mount adapter which has been fine.

I recently discovered that used Sony A mount lenses are even cheaper then used E mount.. but require the use of the LA-EA3 Mount adapter to step the A mount down..

My question is.. can i use this adapter on my aps-c A6400?

The description of this item says 

The Sony LA-EA3 Lens Adapter from Sony enables you to attach any A-mount lens to an Alpha E-mount full-frame digital camera body. It supports Auto Exposure (AE) and features an aperture mechanism.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have asked at the shop where i was looking to buy this and they were not 100% sure and said to check on Sony forum as they would not accept liability for incorrect information given

The LA-EA3 works both on fullframe and APS-C cameras. What you should know is that the LA-EA3 only works on newer lenses with their own AF-motors (dedicated SAM/SSM). If you want to use older, screw-driven lenses, better get the LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 (same adapter except that the EA4 covers a fullframe image circle).

As Pieter says... but note that most A-mount lenses are bigger than the equivalent APS-C E-mount and even FF  E-mount lenses. (But then the saving in price might be the key factor - if you can get a top quality A-mount lens for the price of a lower quality  e-mount, why not?)

Also, be aware that "DT" lenses are specifically for cropped sensor cameras - and they are generally cheaper than the equivalent FF.

Edited by thebeardedgroundsman

Many thanks folks for the replies

A-mount lenses are bigger than the equivalent APS-C E-mount and even FF  E-mount lenses. 

That would make sense as to why the description said for full frame e mount bodies...

6 hours ago, Pieter said:

The LA-EA3 works both on fullframe and APS-C cameras. What you should know is that the LA-EA3 only works on newer lenses with their own AF-motors (dedicated SAM/SSM). If you want to use older, screw-driven lenses, better get the LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 (same adapter except that the EA4 covers a fullframe image circle).

Ah thats handy to know... i'll have to keep an eye out for the lens types then.... 

At least this has saved me buying an adapter without the right facts as the vendor at hand wasnt sure

• 10 months later...
On 2/9/2022 at 12:08 PM, orobas said:

Many thanks folks for the replies

That would make sense as to why the description said for full frame e mount bodies...

Ah thats handy to know... i'll have to keep an eye out for the lens types then.... 

At least this has saved me buying an adapter without the right facts as the vendor at hand wasnt sure

Keep in mind that the A-mount lenses with a built-in motor are newer -- and will cost more than the older A-mount lenses without the built-in motor.  So if your goal is to reduce cost, stick with the older lenses -- which probably use the same optical formula anyway.

Many thanks. still weighing options up on this and will have a look after xmas... i am currently skint broke paying off a rash purchase of a mint boxed MTO 1000mm with filters and original box for my A6400... 🤣

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!