A7RII - Horozontal Black Band Lines Burned into Image

bryu27

Hello. I'm trying to figure out how these black lines have been burned into the image of these examples taken by myself and my friend with our Sony A7RII's. They were taken indoors under common household incandescent bulb light sources. When taking the photo, we see these large black rectangular lines scrolling across the monitor. I thought it had something to do with the refresh rate of the monitor but was shocked to see them actually recorded onto the image! 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryceurbany/21149483035/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryceurbany/21168366356/

I found this tutorial online showing how to remove this from video when shooting under florescent lights which blink 120 times per second that could cause this interference in an image. 

I'm used to seeing this with video cameras when shooting against an older monitor when the shutter speed doesn't match the frequency of the display. But again I was shocked to see this happen under florescent lights and it being burned into a STILL image. 

Just curious if anyone else has seen this. 

As you correctly surmised, this is a lighting issue. Your light source (or one of them) is not an incandescent, it has some type of high frequency ballast - most likely a compact fluorescent. You want to change your shutter speed to compensate. You can either speed up or slow down, however the only way to definitely remove the flicker is to slow down.

You would have this same problem with any camera, however it is possible that the electronic front curtain or a silent shutter would make this issue worse.

• 3 years later...