TTL Speedlight for α7C

I just bought a new α7C and now want a flash for it.  I am a regular hobbyist-level shooter, and do not want or need the best available, in fact the primary criterion I am using is size.  I want a small unit, seems all the ones I've seen suggested on my searches are darn near as big as the camera itself, and some are nearly as expensive, haha.  I do want good assurance that it communicates w/ my α7 though.  I've read that some do and some don't, no matter the price.  Xiexie ~

Any flash with TTL designation is what you are looking for, without TTL you will be shooting in manual only.  This Godox flash might suit your needs: https://www.amazon.ca/TT350S-Wireless-Speedlite-Mirrorless-EACHSHOT/dp/B01MROWZ66/ref=sr_1_16?crid=2JFMX42O5603T&keywords=sony+flash&qid=1641541020&sprefix=sony+fl%2Caps%2C260&sr=8-16

I have the Neewer version of this flash (identical feature set, just branded differently).  It's compact (compared to an A7II), reasonably powered and affordable.

On 1/6/2022 at 7:11 AM, diver7 said:

... the primary criterion I am using is size.  I want a small unit ...

I had exactly the same criterion so I bought a Nissin i40 for my A6500. Very compact unit and pretty powerful for its size. What I love about it is that the flash head can rotate 180 degrees in either direction and can tilt almost vertical. I hate direct flash lighting so I'm always trying to find e.g. a white wall behind me to use as a reflection surface. The omnidirectional swivel head makes this very easy.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Pieter

I was nearly settled on the SONY HVL-F20M, but yeah the two you guys mentioned were my other contenders, along with the V model of the Godox which I understand the only difference is it's built around a  Li-ion battery unit. Here the V & i40 are about 60usd more than the F20, whilst the regular battery TT350 is maybe 10-30 usd less.  Decisions, decisions.....

Edited by diver7
fact error

7 hours ago, tadwil said:

Any flash with TTL designation is what you are looking for, without TTL you will be shooting in manual only. 

This may not apply to the A7C, but there are plenty of cameras that have an alternative to TTL FLASH -- ADI FLASH.  Of course the lens being used has to be compatible as well, but most appear to be.  AND the flash has to offer ADI FLASH -- lots don't.

ADI can not be used with bounce flash, but there are lots of situations where bounce is not an option, and ADI will do much better than TTL in those circumstances.

ADI flash system seem interesting but TTL is ubiquitous.  Which current e-mount body offers ADI and which selection of e-mount lenses support ADI?  I have pored over my A7II but I don't believe my camera supports ADI.  I can see the advantage of using ADI under the circumstances described here: https://alphastrobist.wordpress.com/what-is-adi-flash-metering/ But I think TTL is by far the better flash metering system.

Agree the i40 is superior tech to the F20, but for me I worry about the bulk. The Nissin houses 4 x AA, whereas the F20 is 2 x AAA.  Hmm, Godox V model looking better all the time.  

Best price list:

Nissin i40   ¥1250

F20M   ¥880

V-350s   ¥788