Rokinon 14mm mounting problems.

DA Harper

Hey guys, I am new here and new to photography in general. I recently bought a rokinon series ii 14mm F2.8. This is only my second lense purchase, my other lense being a samyang AF 12mm. I got the lense on for a, "too good to be true price", advertised as open box, but never mounted. I was fully prepared to test the lense and return if needed given the manufacturers reputation for poor quality control. I was a little surprised that the lense I received looked quite a bit different from the stock images advertised on the box and elsewhere. I'm assuming the e-mount version of this lense requires some dimensional changes and the advertised images are of another mount? Unfortunately my confusion didnt stop there. When I mounted the lense it sits off-center on the camera. Maybe I am just missing something being a noob? Admittedly I've never owned a manual lense before and i might just be an idiot. I'm concerned this lense has been disassembled in some way and not properly reassembled. Guidance is appreciated.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This lens is originally designed for DSLR's, where the distance between lens mount and sensor (flange distance) is much bigger than with mirrorless cameras. To convert these lenses to a mirrorless mount, an extension tube is added to the lens so the lens is mounted at the appropriate distance from the sensor. The look of your lens is normal:

https://dukefotografia.com/en/objectives-frame-sony-/samyang-14mm-f28-mk2-sony-e.html

What puzzles me though is why you would invest in a bulky manual 14mm f2.8 fullframe lens for your a6000 when you already have the great and small 12mm f2 AF.

The a-mount version of this lens and the e-mount version look slightly different because the e-mount version -- the one you have -- basically has an extension tube built into the rear, so it looks longer.  Perhaps the advertised picture is of the a-mount version.

That lens is definitely off-center.  It looks like you did not align the DOTS on the camera and lens when attaching the lens.  On that lens, it is probably a GRAY DOT, not a red one -- and a little difficult to find.  Make sure you turn it all the way.  You can tell if you did because you can't turn it anymore without pressing the lens release button on the camera.

Edited by XKAES

2 hours ago, XKAES said:

The a-mount version of this lens and the e-mount version look slightly different because the e-mount version -- the one you have -- basically has an extension tube built into the rear, so it looks longer.  Perhaps the advertised picture is of the a-mount version.

That lens is definitely off-center.  It looks like you did not align the DOTS on the camera and lens when attaching the lens.  On that lens, it is probably a GRAY DOT, not a red one -- and a little difficult to find.  Make sure you turn it all the way.  You can tell if you did because you can't turn it anymore without pressing the lens release button on the camera.

Dots were aligned, and turned until it clicks, feels just like mounting my other lenses. Just sits off center.... could someone have removed the mounting ring and replaced it incorrectly? 

16 hours ago, Pieter said:

This lens is originally designed for DSLR's, where the distance between lens mount and sensor (flange distance) is much bigger than with mirrorless cameras. To convert these lenses to a mirrorless mount, an extension tube is added to the lens so the lens is mounted at the appropriate distance from the sensor. The look of your lens is normal:

https://dukefotografia.com/en/objectives-frame-sony-/samyang-14mm-f28-mk2-sony-e.html

What puzzles me though is why you would invest in a bulky manual 14mm f2.8 fullframe lens for your a6000 when you already have the great and small 12mm f2 AF.

I love my 12mm, don't get me wrong, but i was hoping to aquire a FF a7 soon and wanted a lense to play with when i got it. That and it was a great deal (maybe not since it sits so off center).

The lens shade should be non-removable, and one of the two larger "petals" should be on top.

Also, the aperture and distance marks should both be on the top. 

If these are not the case, the lens is not on the camera correctly -- or it's "defective" in some way.  Can you send a picture of the rear of the lens?

4 hours ago, XKAES said:

The lens shade should be non-removable, and one of the two larger "petals" should be on top.

Also, the aperture and distance marks should both be on the top. 

If these are not the case, the lens is not on the camera correctly -- or it's "defective" in some way.  Can you send a picture of the rear of the lens?

It locks into place with an audible click and does not move until the button is pressed. Feels like it's correctly mounted. Maybe someone with the same lense can see if their mounting dot is in a different location relative to the aperature and distance marks? Assuming this lense is incorrectly assembled, but still sharp and otherwise functional. Should I keep it? Maybe play with the mounting ring and see if it can be fixed, or just return it?

I am confused at what I am looking at.  The picture on the box clearly shows a lens without the extension tube and yet your lens has an extension tube.  I looked up Samyang Mk2 14mm f2.8 FE lens on Amazon and I am seeing the lens as shown on the box. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Samyang-Weather-Sealed-Ultra-Angle/dp/B08G5BDZF2/ref=pd_sbs_2/140-7021593-4934209?pd_rd_w=Vwx64&pf_rd_p=290bbede-2610-4048-b146-cdc2ccb8f183&pf_rd_r=4VXC1ERKWP859A6SMHAB&pd_rd_r=f4a47221-590d-4673-8247-1c6eaab03c26&pd_rd_wg=tmIPR&pd_rd_i=B08G5BDZF2&psc=1

I realize the product photos posted online retail tend to not bother showing brand specific photos but seeing the product photo on the box match up with the Amazon photos makes me wonder.  I am almost tempted to place an order for this lens to see if what you have is the genuine article or not, even though I already own the PK/A version of the Samyang 14/2.8 which work just fine with a PK to Nex adapter.  This is the lens that got me hankering for a full frame body from way back when.

I think you should return your lens instead of trying to fiddle with the mount. 

@tadwilDid you even read the explanations by @XKAESand I? The fact that it has an extension tube is totally fine and as it should be for the E-mount version. Your PK to Nex adapter is exactly that: an extension tube with different mounts on each end.

What is not fine is pictures #1 and #2 by @DA Harper: if these photos are made with the lens properly locked onto the mount and the hood properly locked in place (I believe this lens actually has a non-removable hood as Xkaes mentioned), something is wrong: the lens seems to be mounted about 120 degrees counter-clockwise. The white stripes marking focus distance and aperture should be exactly at the top.

From what I can see is that the extension tube is not bolted to the lens in the proper position. Should be an easy fix to do by yourself, but if it's still under warranty, best return it to the shop. Your warranty will likely be void if you unscrew things by yourself.

Edited by Pieter

@Pieter,

I have read the thread completely and have looked in Amazon for the Samyang 14/2.8 lens.  It's available in 3 versions with 3 different price point.  Latest I guess would be the AF FE mount, then the MkII and the oldest would be like my PK/A version which require an extension or an adapter to compensate for the very short register distance of 18mm for the Sony e mount body.  All 3 have non-removable lens hood (no filters).

The product photos of MkII and AF versions at Amazon show a normally proportioned lens instead of one that has had an extension added on as posted by the OP which is similar to what my PK/A version looks like with an FE adapter.  I just can't figure out why the actual lens differs so much when compared to the product photo that is on the box (third photo from the first batch posted by the OP).

@DA Harper, looking at the 2nd photo from the 2nd batch, the little slotted screw on the barrel of the lens looks as if it has had a screwdriver bit inserted (I've done enough assembly and disassembly of lenses to know if a screw looks tampered with or not).  It may be possible to slightly loosen the screw(s) around the barrel of the extension, rotate the lens assembly back in proper alignment then tighten the screws - it's best to mount the lens to the camera and have the camera sit on a level surface to make aligning the lens more easier.  Of course, you have to make certain loosening the screws allows you to rotate the lens assembly or not.

If you are concerned about warranty (if there is one), it's best to return the lens and get a new lens.  If it's like an Amazon Warehouse deal (cosmetic damage to the packaging and no warranty) you might be able to fix the problem yourself.  If the fix is successful, you should take lots of pictures and chimp the images closely on your monitor to check that the lens is performing properly.

3 hours ago, tadwil said:

The product photos of MkII and AF versions at Amazon show a normally proportioned lens instead of one that has had an extension added on as posted by the OP which is similar to what my PK/A version looks like with an FE adapter.  I just can't figure out why the actual lens differs so much when compared to the product photo that is on the box (third photo from the first batch posted by the OP)

This is why I questioned you read my earlier post, as the answer is right there: the MkII is designed for DSLRs (big flange distance), the AF-version is designed for mirrorless (small flange distance). The photo on the box is of a DSLR-version of the MkII, just like your PK/A lens. Seems like Samyang/Rokinon was lazy and didn't put an E-mount version on the box, which for obvious reasons requires an extension tube.

In the transition to mirrorless, both Samyang and Sigma (and some others as well) first chose the quick and easy route of adapting their old DSLR-designs to mirrorless by just bolting an extension tube onto the original lens design. Now that mirrorless is maturing, both manufacturers are redesigning these lenses from the ground up to true mirrorless designs, resulting in much smaller lenses than the adapted ones. At the same time, Samyang adds autofocus to their new lenses. As such, the 14mm f/2.8 AF is a new and true mirrorless design, the 14mm f/2.8 MF MkI and MkII are dated DSLR designs.

From a bussiness perspective this approach makes a lot of sense: it allowed these manufacturers to quickly join in on the booming mirrorless market with a wide range of lenses, especially in a time where Sony still had a lot of gaps in its 'native' lens lineup.

Edited by Pieter