Any Experience Shooting Sports w/a7Rii?

mkg3

A quick glance through the last few pages of posts didn't speak to this subject so I thought to ask.

I'm considering a Nikon to Sony switch.  Just got back from Europe where my kid was in a soccer tournament and got really tired of lugging heavy equipment set.  Since my gear is bit old, looking for a lighter/smaller alternative than Nikon FF body, and definitely nothing huge like D4s.

In particular I would go with 70-200/F4 E-mount native lens and was looking for some feedback/experience shooting sports like soccer, football, or anything that require moving subjects and panning at the same time.

My thought is that w/42mpix, there is sufficient resolution to crop even with only 200 on the long end.  Also I'd be very interested in using video in progressive scan mode and extracting individual images from that to use (I realize that would be jpeg and not raw) but with only 5fps, 4k video at 24p would be a very interesting alternative.  I've used Canon 5D in 1080p and have extracted images from 30fps short videos.

Thanks for your feedback and thoughts in advance.

Well, you'd certainly get better framegrabs from 4K video.  In general though, I think most would agree that it's not an ideal sports camera.  Even after you turn off image review, there's a momentary freeze in the EVF with each shot in burst mode, which can be a little disconcerting and makes fluid tracking of fast moving subjects tricky.  Could be something you could get used to, MAYBE... but if you're coming from an OVF, I have a feeling you'd walk away from the first game frustrated.

Just my humble $0.02

I think it works decently for sports but there isn't any good telephoto glass over 200mm. And as bplet said above, it's not ideal. If you're not a pro making money from the shots then I'd say you'll be fine with it but if you are a good DSLR is probably a better option. 

My first session with my new A7Rii was at one of my daughter's soccer games.

I used the 70-200 f4, and AF-C with object tracking.  It worked REALLY well.  

Here are couple of shots.  All these are shot at 200mm @ f4, some are cropped. I should also mention that 90% of my photography is done on a tripod so these might not be the best shots.

i-QpZ5kWx-L.jpg

i-KrCXNXQ-L.jpg

i-h9B3Xn8-L.jpg

i-hM3tNsN-L.jpg

Thank you all for the responses as well as some images. Like the way the images look.

No I'm not a pro nor do I come near it.  I'm just a hobbyist with kids that play sports.

The lag and issues brought up is a concern.  

I don't plan to get rid of my DSLR setup so maybe its fine to take a chance....

My feeling is that DSLR is a 20th century form factor and approach, and the mirrorless has lot more headroom in a smaller package.

I don't plan to get rid of my DSLR setup so maybe its fine to take a chance....

In that case, go for it.  See how it goes, and if it just doesn't work for you, no worries - return it.  That's how I approached the camera in general (and I decided to keep it - a friend of mine did the same, and he decided it wasn't for him).  That's the glory of return periods.  I do feel bad, however, when I hear that someone had to sell all their other gear to afford it, and then regrets that decsision later.   Well, I don't feel too bad, because that's a pretty risky move to begin with.  heh

I shoot a lot of sports and have decided to  finally trade in the old Canon gear. A7R2 seems to track very well. Tracking holds up well using the clear zoom feature as well.....leaving plenty of resolution...  Its true what an earlier poster said about a lack of good long native glass. That being said...with the 42meg sensor and clear zoom out to 2x, you are getting reasonably good resolution. 

I DO find that the camera drags a bit as it processes, but I have never been a machine gun shooter anyway, even with sports. 

To put a camera/lens though its paces, I usually hit the dog park. No sport can be more taxing for gear than playing dogs. A7R2 with 70-200G handled it like a champ. 

All this is just my opinion. Your mileage will vary. Good luck!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nice image of your pup. The subject is coming right at you.

Do you have any that the subject is running across diagonally so that the focus needs to move one side to another while the distance away is also changing at the same time?

Thanks.

After seeing some of the images here and looking at some images from a7ii, where AF is not as fast with less phase detection points, I took the plunge.

I now have the a7Rii (delivered yesterday), and just ordered 70-200/f4OSS as well.  I have also ordered Commlite adapter for my Nikkors to use in MF mode (until they release the AF version - hopefully, and that it works...).

Since I need fastest AF for longer range, I chose the 70200 zoom as my first native e mount.  And looking at the weight, between the Nikon body and f2.8 zoom, the Sony setup will be several lbs/kgs lighter, which I welcome.....  I use monopod most of the time currently but am hoping to get rid of that too for the most part.  The tradeoff of 2.8 vs 4 is not as much of big deal at longer end than at the shorter end so it should be just fine.  Of course 2.8 at 4 is probably better than 4 at 4 wide open...

Thanks everyone for your help.

Mkg3: "..The lag and issues brought up is a concern. .."

Just as a follow up.  I did not experience any lag what so ever.  I did turn off image review.

The reason for these different impressions is the huge variation in what constitutes sports photography. The A7RII with a good native lens can probably do pretty well in many field sporting situations. However I shot a drag racing event last week, and the EVF lag when shooting a burst of raw stills made it very difficult during rapid panning to keep the car framed. Yes, image review was turned off. I eventually gave up and switched to 4k video and am still evaluating that. This may be an extreme "edge case" but it does exist.

There is Formula 1 shots taken by a7ii in "misc" section of this forum. If you haven't looked at it, recommend looking at it.

I'll find out soon enough and report back my experience with it. Meanwhile, my DSLR is not going anywhere for a while, if ever.

It would suck to just add Sony setup as a 2nd camera - just more weight.

I have made a complete conversion from Canon (5DII, 7D, etc.) to A7RII and A6000 with Sony 70-200, 28mm, 60mm, and some legacy glass. So far so good for sports -- excluding hockey where it's incredibly fast shot from the net, and low light. Birding is another challenge for these mirrorless cameras - BIF. Forget it. For reach and burst I go to the A6000, someetimes the in-camera zoom ext. If you arn't a machine on a pressure cooker commercial assignment, I think you have the space with these cameras to experiment, adapt and produce great shots -- within their limits and your skills, and both can be pushed.

Unfortunately for adapted A-mount lenses it doesn't do very well at all. I have a tamron 70-200mm f2.8 and focusing is slow/delayed when subject is coming towards you. But it is very accurate when it locks into focus. I received my A7rii this weekend hoping that it will be not as bad but it is pretty bad. However I tested the camera with a friend's 70-200mm f4 and 90mm macro. It is blazingly fast. Maybe a bit faster than my A77ii and my a99 in some low light and well lit areas. But for now sadly, I am going to have to return it and wait for, hopefully, faster new fe lenses from sony. Or when I have enough money to invest into a new mount glass.