Enormicon

Filter System Required in this Post-Processing World?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A two-part question for you all:

1) with the latest DR offered by Sony camera's and the post-processing capabilities of LR, are filter systems still a necessity for landscape photography? I would imagine getting the best image OOC is preferred but am wondering out loud...

2) also, if you were upgrading your existing Cokin P holder and plastic Hittech filters to Lee, would you get the 100mm system or the Seven5? I currently have an 82mm filter threaded Canon 16-35L 2.8 which wouldn't support the Seven5 system, but would prefer to sell it in favor of a Sony prime WA if there's (ideally) one coming down the pipe. Aside from that, a 25mm Batis would be the widest angle lens I'd currently be using. Any advice from existing LEE users would be appreciated; if the Seven5 vignettes on the Batis the decision will be an easier one..

Thanks!

Guest all8

1/ Yes. If you spend all your DR headroom on correcting exposure differences then there is not much left for working on the actual photo.

2/ There is a thread about the Seven5 system (I started it with a similar question).

Much appreciated timde! Not sure why I missed that searching for "Filters" (I see it now though). Sounds like the Seven5 is working for you and the Batis, but if planning to go wider, then the 100mm is the likely answer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...... If you spend all your DR headroom

on correcting exposure differences then

there is not much left for working on the

actual photo.

Frinstintz, the 82 series, for partial daylite

conversion, will reduce the in-camera WB

"overhead expense" when shooting by

tungsten-hued indoor lighting.

Acoarst you could use the deeper blue 80

series but thaz about 2.5 EV loss. The 82

is barely a 1 EV loss. Its original purpose

was a slight "cool down" for shooting film

at about 4pm to 6pm outdoors when you

still have daylite but it has become warm

hued daylite.

Also, there are those indoor too-warm light

sources that can take your in-camera WB

to its far limit yet the result is still way too

warm. Usually this is a scene way too dim

to spend 2.5 EV on an 80 series filter but

an 82 can keep you within, or at least near

to, correctable range at a cost of 1 EV.

Finally ... you can find a used 82 series for

next to nothing, even a huge one, cuz until

you read this, I was the only person who

realized they are still of any use !

`

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jkail
      Hi. Until I can scrounge up $2k for the 200-600, my little 55-210 is my go-to for landscapes that require zooming. Unfortunately, my circular polarizing filter will not work with the lens hood that came with this lens. I hate to choose between lens flare and water reflections. Any knowledge about how to get them to work together? - Jared
    • By schmety
      Hi there !

Soon, i'll receive my new photo-cam Sony Alpha a6000, including SEL P-1650 objective.
      I already have few Hoya filters 58mm, which i have use them on my older photo-cam.
      I'd like to know, what are my options to use those filters on a6000 ?
      Is there any adapter or ?

Thanks for any kind of information, maybe link
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Best

• By mikejones3
      I have a sony a9 and love doing landscape photography, but would like a ND filter. I am new to filters and would love some recommendations, are there any that work on any lens size? I am nervous about buying one to only use on one of my lenses. 
    • By Yomo
      Rough test comparing a Vizelex ND with a B+W filter

https://youtu.be/vSMdae6EDa8

I forgot to mention that the sharpness of the Vizelex ND was really soft in comparison
      I'll have to do some more tests but so far I am totally not happy with this adapter
    • I don’t think the C1EM is compatible with the a7RM2 the C2EM is the Sony model that work, see this link https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1159878-REG/sony_a7r_mark_ii_digital.html/accessories The Meike looks like a great deal, though I wonder about the build quality... did you try searching for some video reviews?
    • Welcome to our forum!
    • ok so i just got a nice new Sony alpha a7ii dslr and thought i would get a battery grip but there seems to be loads  of different ones? so which one do i go for ? VG-C3EM , Meike MK-A7II Pro Vertical Battery Grip,  Sony VG-C2EM Battery Grip,  Sony VG-C1EM Battery Grip, Sony ILCE-7RM2 Neewer Vertical Battery Grip Replacement, Compatible with Sony VG-C2EM and Sony VG-C4EM Vertical Battery Grip so which one is best? which one do i go for any help would be great thanks
    • just saying hi to everyone, i have just started again after a 2 year break, before i had all Olympus gear but this time i have bought some Sony gear the A7 mk2 dslr and a kit lense for now thanks keith