Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 g2 issues

Hi there

I got my 28-75mm G2 last week and have noticed some battery drain issues when the camera is off.

I took the usual couple of test shots on Friday and left it in my bag overnight. The next morning the battery was dead.  I popped in a fresh battery, the next evening it was down to 23% when I turned the camera on. I put in another battery last night (92%), this morning it was at 72%.

I don't have the problem with any other lenses and the batteries are genuine Sonys, so I'm guessing it's the lens.

Has anyone noticed anything similar?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/7/2021 at 1:21 AM, Adrichardson said:

The serial numbers were sequential, so it may have been a bad batch. Hopefully not a camera problem!

I am new to the forum and new to the Sony system. I bought the 28-75 G2 version for my A7RIV. Now I am concerned and have to check and make sure the battery drain does not happen with my camera. I have an all Tamron line up for my system. I ran into focusing issues with the 70-180 already. Not biggie but an issue nevertheless and the 17-28 is having focusing problems too. Again no biggie. I suspect that it is the body and not the lenses. For some reason A7RIV has issues with these Tamrons. Oddly enough the only lens that is 100% ok focusing wise with the A7RIV is the 28-75 G2!

On 2/24/2022 at 4:04 AM, bnapa said:

I am new to the forum and new to the Sony system. I bought the 28-75 G2 version for my A7RIV. Now I am concerned and have to check and make sure the battery drain does not happen with my camera. I have an all Tamron line up for my system. I ran into focusing issues with the 70-180 already. Not biggie but an issue nevertheless and the 17-28 is having focusing problems too. Again no biggie. I suspect that it is the body and not the lenses. For some reason A7RIV has issues with these Tamrons. Oddly enough the only lens that is 100% ok focusing wise with the A7RIV is the 28-75 G2!

I exchanged it, but the replacement's serial number was 1 digit out and had similar issues (not as bad though).  I got a refund and bought another copy a few weeks ago, which is fine. May just have been a bad batch.