Do many people print photos nowadays?

Just wondering how many people print any of their photos - or how frequently.

What size do you generally print at, and any particular paper?

To start the answer, I seem to print an average of 1 photo a week (about 1% of those I have on my computer) - generally A3 on semi gloss "Pearl" paper. (I find the quality far more pleasing than viewing them on a computer screen, even though they are about the same size). 

Every so often - usually after a trip - I get a booklet printed up, as this gives a nice way of sharing with friends and relatives, and makes a nice momento.

This question needs to be more specific because "printing" photos means different things depending on the camera being used.  Kodak, Ilford, Kentmere, Fuji, and others sell lots of paper for prints made from negatives in enlargers.  Then there are makers of paper for computer-based prints -- Epson, HP, etc..  Completely different.

I use both.  My smallest prints are 8x10".  My most common are 16x20"-20x30".  My largest are 5x8'.

People ask me constantly for years what I do with all my photos (wildlife). I post a lot on Instagram (@SDMarianne) but I got the idea to create a photo wall in my family room so I put two photo shelves on the wall and chose some of the shots I liked and had them printed in all different sizes and put them in frames, displaying them on the wall.  The frames were cheap but it was really expensive having them printed by the photo store.

All that said, now my friends know what I do with my best photos! Even my doctor asked me for some of my prints which I just printed out with my personal printer (8 x 10).

I think you can have them done much cheaper at Costco but I can’t speak to the quality.

One issue with digital prints is longevity -- and that depends on the "ink".  I've had digital prints start to fade after a few months in bright light due to poor quality ink.

And, of course, even silver-emulsions can fade/dis-color in a couple of months/years if not properly processed/fully fixed, etc.

For Longevity I use archival papers and spray them with UV protection spray.

For hanging, I cut a card mount to keep the print from touching the "glass" of the frame - following archival techniques.

None of my pics have been hanging for more than twenty years  - so I've no proof as to how long they will last - but if the information I've been given is correct, they'll out last me and even my grand children. Archival materials are no more expensive than "regular".

My current method is to print photo albums (made by CEWE, for instance) every two years (featuring pictures taken within those two years) just for keeping the memories.

But I, sometimes, fancy an "artsy" album on a given theme - but this is mostly out of curiosity (to find out how the pictures would actually look on paper).

And also, few pictures per year, going to various (photoclub) exhibitions.

Yes, I print photos. Big ones, up to 420x900 mm on roll paper, and smaller ones usually A4.

I also print smaller photos on half A3 paper saved in a ring album/folder. That´s easier than photo books and you can easily reprint a single side if one of the prints don´t come out as you intended. Of course, there are only images on the right side of the album, but you save a lot of money avoiding photo books and don´t have to use expensive album sheets and mounting material. So I also save time. The photos are outlined with a thin line.

I use Q-image software to "mount" the images for printing on the same paper.

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 8:08, thebeardedgroundsman said:

Para la longevidad utilizo papeles de archivo y los rocío con spray de protección UV.

Para colgar, corté un soporte de tarjeta para evitar que la impresión toque el "vidrio" del marco, siguiendo técnicas de archivo.

Ninguna de mis fotos ha estado colgada durante más de veinte años, por lo que no tengo pruebas de cuánto tiempo durarán, pero si la información que me dieron es correcta, me durarán a mí e incluso a mis nietos. . Los materiales de archivo no son más caros que los "normales".

Hola, dices Para la longevidad utilizo papeles de archivo y los rocío con spray de protección UV.

No conozco ese spray me podrias dar mas detalles del mismo, donde comprar etc

Gracias de Felipe 

Hola Felippe.
El spray que utilizo es de "Ghient" y se llama "Inkjet Fix" (matte).
Lo obtengo de www.photopaperdirect.com.
Aquí es también donde obtengo mi documento de archivo.
Salud
6 hours ago, felipe said:

Hola, dices Para la longevidad utilizo papeles de archivo y los rocío con spray de protección UV.

No conozco ese spray me podrias dar mas detalles del mismo, donde comprar etc

Gracias de Felipe 

Edited by thebeardedgroundsman