A7R3 with 200-600 Focusing?

Martin AL

Hi Everyone,

I hope I can get some help / constructive advise here. I am finding my set up to be very hit and miss when it comes to focus for aviation photography. Sometimes I can be blown away by the clarity i acheive with this set up but I would say 60-70% of my images are not pin sharp when inspecting them. 

I am not sure if I am expecting too much however I have come from a Canon 7d mk2 with L glass and I may need to adapt my method for Sony full frame?

I usually set shutter priority to 1/1000 or A prio on F9 however neither seem to have good results a lot of the time. 

I have included a couple of examples here for reference to outline what I am talking about. I understand its not the best lighting conditions however I would expect the massive text to be sharp on the edges. 

I use Center focus with E front curtain shutter off (advised from another group helps with contrast and focus??) 

AF track sens is responsive and drive speed is fast
Auto ISO
Focus mode - continuous AF
Drive mode - Cont. Shooting
RAW (obviously)
High Burst mode
And metering mode on Multi

I hope someone can get me back on track with this set up as honestly although i'm sure its user error, it is putting me off using it 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Martin AL

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Martin

Have you set adjustments on the lens?

Like limiting the auto focus parameters or choosing the best steady shot mode?

I'm not familiar with the 200-600mm zoom, but my 100-400mm has switches to do both these things. Reducing the AF parameters speeds up AF and setting OSS to mode 2 is optimised for panning.

Hi Martin,

I have an A7Riii and although I don't have the 200-600, I do have the 100-400 and 70-200 f4.0 so here are a few more tips....

With [Focus Mode] set to 'AFC', try playing with [Focus Area] set to 'Lock-on AF: Flexible Spot L'. If that doesn't work reliably for locking onto aircraft then try other [Focus Area] settings. I use the 'AF-ON' button to focus and keep it pressed once it locks on.

With the above mode I always make sure the focusing square is in the middle of the screen. If not, press the joystick to re-centre it. I often find it accidentally de-centred due to clumsiness on my part.

In MENU item 7/14 I select 'Pre-AF' to 'on'.

If you are looking for on-line tutorials, try Mark Galer. For instance, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNloKXpUOWA

I too struggled with focus for some time because the A7Riii has so many functions and combinations of functions, but I eventually found my ideal settings for action, portraits and manual focusing. I'm happy with the results and although I haven't had a chance yet to shoot aircraft, I have had success with rapidly moving creatures. Examples here using settings above and with animal eye-AF respectively..........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dimparcio/51127222953/in/album-72157715421584082/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dimparcio/50226728371/in/album-72157714652062341/

Good luck !

Regards

Bob

I have similar issues and a similar set up on my Sig 150-600 (native Sony, not adapted Canon). I can shoot at a distance in low light and nail focus on a color guard person twirling a flag or rifle and band member at a marching band comp but not get a clean shot on a sunny day playing hide and seek with a Great Blue Herron less than 100 feet away (and he's not moving very fast).