Make apsc behave like Fullframe with Lens

Samuell

Hello and good day to you!

Im not really new to Photographie but I'm getting serious about it now.

Im thinking of buying a FullFrame Camera but I dont know if its even worth it.

Im reseaching for days now and it is very hard since I find contredicting information floating around on the net.

Ok I understand the crop factor a 50mm is a 75mm on apsc (fov wise) good I just get a 35mm and that is taken care of. Now I think you have to adjust the aperature too so you get the same DoF f1.4 is probably a fast lens for FullFrame the DoF would be equilvent to 2.1 on my apsc camera while giving me the same exposure. No problem I just get a F0.95 and that would give me the same DoF as a f1.4 on Fullframe while beeing 1Stop brighter. Fullframe has better ISO performance maybe 2 Stops so I would gain 1 Stop of light If I go for

FullFrame 50mm f1.4 instead of

apsc 35mm f0.95

I know this is just one lens exaple and all this compansating isnt possible for most lenses Im just wondering If I understood It right. there is a cheap chinease lens 35mm f0.95 I was thinking of playing around wirh it but the money spend would probably be better spend just getting an a7 and a cheap vintage f1.4 50mm ? For same resaults with better dynamic range?

You are mostly correct. For all practical purposes and intents, a 35mm f/0.95 lens on an APS-C camera will give the same depth of field and field of view as a 50mm f/1.4 on a fullframe camera. The ISO-performance of a fullframe camera is also only about 1 stop better than an APS-C camera with the same amount of megapixels.

So e.g. a FF-camera with a 50mm lens at f/1.4, 1/100 sec shutter speed and ISO800 produces roughly the same depth of field, field of view and noise performance as an APS-C camera with a 35mm lens at f/0.95, 1/100sec and ISO400.

However: the cheap 35mm lens will likely produce absolutely crap quality images at f/0.95. So unless you're into that 'arty dreamy look' of blurry images that are a hazy mess, your money is best invested elsewhere.

By the way, the new Laowa 33mm f/0.95 seems to be pretty good stopped down, but that wasn't your intent:

https://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=615

Edited by Pieter

If you are asking if you can put full-frame lenses on APS cameras -- SURE, but you don't get a full-frame image.  You get an APS-sized image.  The image will appear magnified because the APS sensor is only using a portion of the full-frame image created by the full-frame lens.

The APS sensor size is fixed and does not change by changing the lens.  If you have a quart of water, you don't end up with a gallon of water by pouring it into a gallon bucket.

Edited by XKAES

I was just seeking validation for my calculations since I figuerd it out from multiple sources and had no one to ask If I was right. basically

Apsc f0.95 35mm 200iso = FF f1.4 50mm iso 400 

Or at least It would give you a similar pitcture FoV DoF and exposure wise.

Unless someone tells me diffrently....

looking to get a 7c now since its nice and small and I wont buy a cheap chinease lens just to compansate for the short commings of apsc specially the nerrow DoF wont be achivable with an apsc kamera since you can also put a f0.95 lens on a fullframe body that would mean you need a f0.7 for a similar DoF ( I think NASA was building those in the 60')

As Pieter said, your computations are OK, but you won't get a higher resolution by simply switching to a full-frame lens -- since the sensor size stays the same.

If you are using a full-frame lens on an APS sensor, it's a good idea to determine what changes and by how much -- such as focal length, perspective, DOF, etc.

It's also good to know that when using an APS-C camera, it doesn't matter if you put a FF 50mm lens on it or an APS-C 50mm lens: the resulting image is the same (DoF, FoV and exposure). Put both lenses on a FF camera and you'll see that the image with the APS-C lens vignettes heavily or has black edges around the image. The focal length is the same, but the area of the projected image is bigger with a lens designed for FF cameras.