A7SIII drops frames when shooting video at 59.94fps

dluksa

We've been shooting a lot of video on our A7SIII over the past few weeks, all in 59.94 frames per second with the intention of editing in a 24fps frame timeline. We do this to either maintain the regular-speed in 24p or slow down by 40%.

What I'm noticing is that our 59.94 footage is dropping frames. When slowed down by 40%, the footage plays back choppy. We're shooting on Sony CF-Express cards, so there shouldn't be any read/write speed issues.

Some footage on the card can be slowed down without fail, some slows down choppy. It is not a shutter speed issue. We're shooting in 1080p.

Thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Maybe your issue is the one I had: I was shooting 60p with the intention of slowing down in post (rather than using s&q, which doesn't record sound). I mistakenly left the shutter at 50, which is of course impossible. Turns out the camera simply drops the frame rate to 30, recorded in a 60p video stream. So even though in every way it's a 60 frame video clip, it is repeating every frame! Treat it like a 30p clip and you can still slow it down a bit for 24 playback.

Make sense?

Bob