Sony a7S II Random Shutdowns/Sleep Mode During Recording

Soleurs

Since around June or so, I've tried to record video in various indoor and outdoor settings, and my Sony a7S II will randomly shut down anywhere between 2 and 10 minutes into recording (despite power save being set to 30 minutes). There's never any overheat indicator or any sign that things are about to go awry.

If I press the shutter button a couple of times, it'll wake back up, but I will lose anything after the screen cuts out. I'm usually recording at 4K/30/60M, for reference, but the same issue occurs in regular HD video when I've tested . I've tried multiple SD cards, multiple Sony batteries, I'm at a loss as to the cause.

My typical setup: Sony a7S II, Tamron 28-200mm Di III RXD Lens, Sony ECM-XYST1M Stereo Microphone

Any insight would be well-appreciated, I'm about to give up on this thing and sell it off.

Happen to have a dummy battery so you can run it directly off the mains as a test without having to use a battery at all? (Lousy batt life forced me into using larger capacity batteries externally). Another option is to power the camera via the USB charge socket (internal battery required to try this) and see if you get longer run times. USB isn't sufficient enough to keep up with the power draw but it does extend somewhat normal battery drain. Had multiple batteries tell me there was plenty of charge but cratered sooner than the 67% or whatever charge remaining indicated.

Try setting Power Save to OFF and see how long the camera remains on in photo mode then video mode without actually doing either. 

Power save feature shouldn't enter into this because active recording keeps it from being implemented. Only when nothing's calling on camera resources does it kick into play.

On 9/6/2021 at 3:34 AM, VTC said:

Happen to have a dummy battery so you can run it directly off the mains as a test without having to use a battery at all? (Lousy batt life forced me into using larger capacity batteries externally). Another option is to power the camera via the USB charge socket (internal battery required to try this) and see if you get longer run times. USB isn't sufficient enough to keep up with the power draw but it does extend somewhat normal battery drain. Had multiple batteries tell me there was plenty of charge but cratered sooner than the 67% or whatever charge remaining indicated.

Try setting Power Save to OFF and see how long the camera remains on in photo mode then video mode without actually doing either. 

Power save feature shouldn't enter into this because active recording keeps it from being implemented. Only when nothing's calling on camera resources does it kick into play.

I don’t see an “Off” for power save settings, only 10 seconds and up. No dummy battery is accessible but running it off USB did nothing. It’s not a question of battery percentage cratering, because it’ll turn back on just fine and operate again for a few minutes, it’s just these random and unknown shutdowns.