FE 24 f/1.4GM or 20 f/1.8G

Hi, I'm having a hard time deciding between the 24GM and the 20G. I'm looking for a wide/ultrawide to compliment the 35GM.

I have not used anything 20mm on full-frame. But from what I can understand, the 20G has a slight advantage in certain situations and cost less than the 24GM.

I don't spend a lot of time shooting landscapes, but 24mm will be enough when I do need to. It's just that the 20G is very attractive with the sale at the moment and I don't mind trying something new. 

I've not tried either, but personally I would go for the 20mm G and sacrifice the bit of aperture width in favour of the wider angle - which can be cropped if needed. 

To me the price saving is a big advantage - it could be spent on a nice filter system or a good solid tripod if you want to explore landscape photography more.

Alternatively, put it towards a trip somewhere to make use of your new glass!

• 3 months later...

I've got the Sony 20/1.8 and like it. Thought about getting the 24 but with my 24-70, it's a little redundant. I originally tried the Tamron 20/2.8 as it was attractive for the price. Noisy, slow to focus and alot of edge distortion. Dunno if that one was in consideration or not but thought I'd mention it.

My favourite Ultra wide lens is the manual Laowa 15mm f/2 (zero distortion)

It has the neat advantage of focusing very close for a macro foreground, but still catching a wide background. It also takes 72mm screw on filters, where most ultra wide lenses have a bulbous front element that stops this. 

Being manual, it's inexpensive for a wide angle lens - the downside is that it has no electrical connection, so shutter priority is not angled option, although Aperture priority is fine (what I use for this type of photography anyway) Also, no weather sealing, but build quality is good.