Blurry pics in aperture priority mode.

Posted (edited)

Hi , 

I've a 2 months old sony a6100 camera. I was using 16-50 mm pancake lens before trying out the 55-210  telephoto lens ( Sony made ). Now, when I'm trying to click any pic in aperture priority mode,  the screen reads " Processing " for a while and then the pic appears to be  blurry , just like one can expect when they photograph a fast moving object at low shutter speeds. 

This was not the case with 16-50  lens. No issue with any mode. But in telephoto lens, I'm seeing this weird issue. Seems like I can't use aperture priority mode with this lens. Is there something in the Settings menu which I need to change to make this mode usable with telephoto lenses ? 

Edited by Kumar Nishit
Posted (edited)

Telephoto lenses let in less light. In Aperture Priority mode the camera will adjust shutter speed and ISO to accommodate your chosen aperture.

Make sure ISO is set to Auto and that it has a high maximum, the smaller the aperture that you are setting, the higher the maximum ISO needs to be. If it reaches the high ISO level then the camera will use a slower shutter speed.

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1950/v1/en/contents/TP0002670799.html?search=ISO auto

Edited by LiveShots
Posted (edited)

Adding to what LiveShots mentioned, ......also, the longer the focal length being used (the narrower the angle of coverage), the faster the shutter speed for a shot ought to be in order to avoid a photo to end up being blurry because of camera movement.
The minimum shutter speed value to avoid a photo ending up being blurry (because of shaking movement) will of course depend on if you are shooting hand holding the camera or using a tripod, on your pulse, and on the camera or lens having or not having some stabilization system, but also on the focal length being used.
Say that under certain conditions, you needed a shutter speed of 50 or 60 to avoid a blurry photo because of camera movement if using a 50mm focal length, then, for a similar shot or conditions for a take, you will probably need at least a shutter speed of 200 if using a 200mm focal length instead.

You probably knew all these, but I am mentioning it because what I am suggesting is that you could check the exif data of the photos that ended up being blurry to see if the resulting shutter speeds from shooting in Aperture Mode for those, were appropriate values in respect to the focal length used or on the contrary, not high enough to avoid the photos to end up looking blurry.

Edited by Alejandro

I noticed that the reason was insufficient light which caused the slowing the shutter speed, resulting in blurry pics. In ISO auto mode, the pic was clearer albeit a bit grainy , which is expected at ISO values of 1600 and beyond. When I took it to a place where there was a bit more light, the "processing" issue didn't happen. But pics were blurry because of low shutter speed. 

I don't know if my problem is the same but my camera lens is also blurry but when I take the picture it still comes out as normal and it's not blurry, it's hard to see to take pictures, is it also due to lack of light?

impostor

There's a reason why tripods are so popular.  At low ISO settings and/or small apertures (high numbers), the shutter speed is lower, leading to blurred pictures.  And even at high shutter speeds, a tripod produces sharper pictures.

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2021 at 3:34 AM, Kumar Nishit said:

Seems like I can't use aperture priority mode with this lens. Is there something in the Settings menu which I need to change to make this mode usable with telephoto lenses ? 

If you’re a newbie and aren’t sure how to set shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, try shooting in fully automatic mode and look at the settings the camera chooses for you. Then go back to Aperture Priority and start with those settings for ISO and aperture. Try different settings for the ISO and aperture and see how they affect the shutter speed. If a slow shutter speed is causing blur, make sure the aperture is fully open and/or bump up the ISO. If the image is too dark or bright for your tastes, try adjusting the compensation.

Edited by Nextguitar