Sony A1 - Windows Thumbnail Support? + Other Issues & Small Wish

Didn't see the A1 listed on this section, but it's a full frame alpha so here we go. First of all, loving the A1 so far! It's an astounding tool, and coming from the A9 and RIV it feels like a true successor. It's an even more insane with most of the RIV's resolution and dynamic range, even in electronic shutter. This with the 400 2.8 is just insanity, I was giggling to myself reviewing images in the field at a lacrosse game.

1: Windows currently doesn't, to my knowledge support the A1 raws, and will not create thumbnails. I snooped around on the A1 website, and haven't found any driver or raw update that will allow windows to create thumbnails of my images. This is useful for sorting files, or choosing something individually in a pinch edit. Searching the general internet for this issue is impossible, it's all video reviews or people talking about legacy bodies.

2: I'm sure others have probably mentioned, but the new design of the EVF trigger isn't working out so well. I've had an issue where I put my eye up to the viewfinder and the screen is black. Even using a dedicated button to switch between the monitor and viewfinder will not work in this instance. Only pulling my head away, and repeating the normal process over and over until it comes on. I've noticed this happens mostly when the sun is behind my back, but it's also happened when I was in the shade with no direct light. I've missed some opportunities for shots over this. Hoping a firmware update can address this since it feels more like a glitch, than an outright design failure.

3: If you have S-Cinetone as your preferred movie preset, this will prevent you from using the base iso of 100, as well as extended iso's even in picture modes. It'd be nice if you could separate the two, and allow S-Cinetone with it's supported iso range, then switch to picture modes and still have 100 (50-64-80) available.

4: The Sony memory card replacement service was a disaster. For someone who had spent about 7500 dollars in total, Sony being flaky about fronting a memory card to a Pro Support Member didn't sit well with me at all. They received my card on a Tuesday, I didn't get mine until that Sunday. It's two days ground from their location.

As for my wish I'd love to be able to set up custom buttons, specifically C1 or C2 for various shutter speeds. Say I have a bird in a tree, I don't always need 20/30 fps and in a fleeting moment there is no time to make a setting change, but it'd be great if I could use back button AF, and then press a custom button for say, 10 or 5 FPS.

Edited by Jimmyqballs

Congrats to your A1. I am also using this amazing beast since about 2 weeks now. There are still some little drawbacks but I am sure, they can and will be fixed by updates.

Regarding your questions:
1. I also see no thumbnails for the raw files but meanwhile Windows supports preview for the HEIF (*.HIF) images, if you use that format. May be just a matter of time, to get also raw thumbnails.
2. Problem with EVF trigger (not triggering at direct sunlight) seems to be confirmed by Sony. Probably also just a software issue.
3. I would not expect that. It probalbly would me more confusing than a solution.
4. CF Express Type A cards still seem to need some maturity. I am using SD UHS-II V90. More capacity, about half the price and fast enough for all video modes. If you are not using continous bursts, that should do the job.

My experiences so far: https://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=202&catid=40&Itemid=2