A7RII Battery Drain while the camera is OFF (Not power save)

Today at 8AM the battery was at 62%. I fully turned OFF the camera with the power switch, and after 10 hours I turned it ON and it was at 46%, how is it possible that the battery will drain 1.6% / hour with the camera completely OFF, it doesn't make any sense. With a fully charged battery in 2.5 days the battery will be gone, even with the camera turned OFF, it's ridiculous, any other experience? thanks

NOTE: The camera is in Airplane mode as well while turned ON

Maybe the new battery isn't calibrated yet: it was under or over-reporting it's charge level to the camera.

It'll probably get more accurate after one or two full cycles: use it until it completely runs out, then charge right up to 100% in one go.

That said, despite the switch feeling mechanical, it doesn't isolate the camera from the battery so there could have been some process stuck in a loop draining battery. Removing the battery temporarily will kill that off.

Try this experiment, take the battery at 62% (or whatever) out of the camera, wait 10 hours and then put it back in the camera and see what % you have left. Temperature is a factor too, I believe, for self discharge of battery.

I do on occasion move the power switch from Off to ON when putting the camera in the case ... but in general the battery behaviour of these cameras is strange. Mine discharge even when not in use ... so I leave the spare constantly charging.

• 4 weeks later...

BATTERY DRAIN WHEN a7rII IS TURNED OFF

I received a a7RII that was shipped 4 August 2015...............ie first batch.

I am having the exact same problem (3 times now).......a couple of days after inserting a 100% charged battery it is DEAD.   :angry:  :angry:

No WiFi and NFC; Camera was definitely in the off position!

First time:  Shot 32 pictures, turned camera off and removed the SD card.  Came back about 48 hours later and battery was dead.

Second time:  Shot 7 pictures, turned off and removed card.......about 40 hours later, turned the camera on and the battery was at 5%.

Third time:  Shot 46 pictures.....did the same and at around 50 hours dead battery.

The first time was with the battery that came with the camera (SONY). 

Went and bought two new OEM batteries and charger.

Second failure was with one of the OEMs.......third time with the other OEM battery.

QUESTIONS (HELP):

• Besides the original post is anyone else having this problem?
  • Has anyone experience a similar situation with any of the Canon 5D series?

A battery drain like this in any electronic device is generally one of three things.

• Defective on/off switch.
  • A low voltage short circuit 
  • ​Defective battery (but not 3)

Quick update: I've been testing this for the last 2 to 3 weeks since I got the camera. A fresh brand new battery (with less than 5 cycles) installed in the camera, each 1 or 2 days the battery will drain around 15% - 20%, after about a week the battery will be fully drain to 0%. My only conclusion right now is to store the camera for a long time with no battery. I hope this will get fixed with a FW update.

Try this experiment, take the battery at 62% (or whatever) out of the camera, wait 10 hours and then put it back in the camera and see what % you have left. Temperature is a factor too, I believe, for self discharge of battery.

I do on occasion move the power switch from Off to ON when putting the camera in the case ... but in general the battery behaviour of these cameras is strange. Mine discharge even when not in use ... so I leave the spare constantly charging.

If I leave any of my 3 spare Sony batteries outside the camera they will not loose any charge, they are always at 100%

Maybe the new battery isn't calibrated yet: it was under or over-reporting it's charge level to the camera.

It'll probably get more accurate after one or two full cycles: use it until it completely runs out, then charge right up to 100% in one go.

That said, despite the switch feeling mechanical, it doesn't isolate the camera from the battery so there could have been some process stuck in a loop draining battery. Removing the battery temporarily will kill that off.

I've been calibrating the batteries for the last 3 weeks, each one has now around 3-5 cycles, same behavior.

Thanks for the update............................

I am coming across from Canon 5D's and cancelled my first day order on the new 5D RS.

To me this is a product flaw rather than something that one has to live with..............AM I WRONG.

I do a lot of field work an nursing a battery flaw or problem is not something that I want to do.

I am contacting SONY Monday for the official response.......will advise.

Thanks for the update............................

I am coming across from Canon 5D's and cancelled my first day order on the new 5D RS.

To me this is a product flaw rather than something that one has to live with..............AM I WRONG.

I do a lot of field work an nursing a battery flaw or problem is not something that I want to do.

I am contacting SONY Monday for the official response.......will advise.

Agree it's a flaw, for me size/weight is a bigger deal than the battery issue for now.

Please let us know what answer you get back from Sony.

Well since you turned off all the right settings and the batteries that's left out don't lose charge. I can only conclude something is wrong with the camera. Can you get replacement?

I do not think the camera is wrong, it's just the way it is, I am not the first person reporting this behavior, there are hundreds of similar reports out there.

Page. 46 of the Sony A7RM2 manual states - the charged battery is discharged little by little even when you do not use it.

I think there must be some discharge process going on even if the camera is switched off. I assume the only cure is to remove it from the camera

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page. 46 of the Sony A7RM2 manual states - the charged battery is discharged little by little even when you do not use it.

I think there must be some discharge process going on even if the camera is switched off. I assume the only cure is to remove it from the camera

James

Did they say anything if the discharging process happens with the battery inside the camera or outside as well?

No - but I assume it's when they are inside the camera. These sort of batteries tend to last longer if they constantly move charge around - I think this may be such a feature to accomplish that. Just remove the batteries - they seem to hold there charge well if you do so

James

No - but I assume it's when they are inside the camera. These sort of batteries tend to last longer if they constantly move charge around - I think this may be such a feature to accomplish that. Just remove the batteries - they seem to hold there charge well if you do so

James

True, I have left batteries outside the camera for weeks and they keep their charge at 100%