Best shutter option to use for wildlife and BIF

I was out today shooting birds flying around and had my camera (Sony A7R4 and 100-400 GM lens) set to use the electronic first curtain.  The shutter was set at between 1/1300 and 1/2000 for most shots.  My question is simple this, for those who shoot wildlife with long lenses, what shutter option is most frequently used, and why do you use it for wildlife and BIF?

I wouldn't call myself a wildlife photographer but, I'm experimenting with taking BIF photos and moving animals.

At the moment my BIF shots are of larger birds, that tend to move with slower wing movement and are further away than small birds so appear slower.

As I want to get as much of their long wingspan in focus I find a slower shutter speed - 1;500 or 1:1000 more effective.

Similarly with larger moving animals.

A lot of the animal shots I take are in woodland, so the slower shutter speed gives me benefits in the lower light.

I use shutter priority and auto ISO - which can lead to graininess in the darker parts of the woods - but then I have a 2015 "Vintage" a68 which doesn't cope with grain as well as the latest models like yours.

Edited by thebeardedgroundsman

I use electronic shutter only when I need to be as quiet as I can, else I don't bother. The only real downside that I know of is the possibility of some unwanted effects when using artificial lighting (explained in detail on many websites) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

For BIF & and fast running mammals I use at least 1/2000s with my A9. If you stick with that you could get sharp images. For hummingbirds and other extreme fast birds, I use 1/5000s and up. For steady mammals I would recommend your focal length as shutter time. 

www.hansstel.com