a6000 / SELP1650 / RMT-DSLR2 : no remote zoom

So in a recent push to up my internet streaming production values, I purchased a passel of recommended gear to replace my Logitech Brio webcam as primary video source:

• Sony a6400 body
  • Sony SELP18105G lens
  • Sony RMT-DSLR2 IR remote
  • a bunch of other stuff to do USB ingest, etc...

This stuff is all working pretty well in production. I demoted each previous cam in my multi-cam shoot -- from the Brio on down to the lowliest webcam -- one position each, using the Sony as my primary camera.

On a recent pawn shop crawl, I ran across the following:

• Sony a6000 body
  • Sony SELP1650 lens

At what seemed to me to be a good price, so I bought them. In general, they seem to be working. With the exception that the remote (the one that I purchased along with the a6400) does not seem to operate the power zoom on the a6000/SELP1650. The vary same remote operates the power zoom on the a6400/SELP18105G.

I don't know whether this lack of functionality is to be expected, or if there is a problem here. It could be that something is broken. It could be that the a6000 is incapable of directing the SELP1650 to zoom. It could be that the SELP1650 is incapable of being directed to zoom via the a6000. It could be that the remote cannot send the proper directive to the a6000 to have the a6000 direct the SELP1650 to zoom. 

Or maybe, just maybe, there is some configuration option I am overlooking in the camera's menu structure that needs to be set differently to get this to work? Hopefully.

FWIW, I can operate the a6000 menus via the remote, so I know that at least the remote is talking to the a6000. And the power zoom button on the SELP1650 works in general.

If you have a suggestion to get this working, I'd be most appreciative.

Edited by jbreher
more info

• 1 year later...