I'm currently bidding on a broken sony a7 camera, is this a too risky way to go about getting my first camera?

As the title says; I want to get into photography, and I thought buying, and then fixing a broken a7 would be a cheaper alternative to buying a new one. But since I've never fixed the a7 camera before, let alone any camera before, I wanted to asked you people if fixing it would be a too expensive endeavor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Alpha-a7R-Digital-Camera-Black-Body-Only-Parts-Or-Repair/233966893598?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Ddb2303a2a14b44d9b342ba4efe9d2a15%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D233966893598%26itm%3D233966893598%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DSony&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A3d937ac2-a0fc-11eb-a043-ee19cb98be5f%7Cparentrq%3Ae9bb71cf1780ab84e9649752ffe8193c%7Ciid%3A1

: This is the camera in question

Another option is to find a place that repairs them, then buy it for $350, and then spend another $350(???) to have it repaired.

If you don't have experience with repairing new, electronic cameras, AND the special tools needed, AND a complete service manual for that camera, you are asking if it's safe to walk on water!

Edited by XKAES

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I managed to find an old Titan tripod when I realised the combined weight of camera and lens was just 3kg. However, I still have the camera shake icon on continuously and yet daylight seems good. In manual mode no problem.   will keep trying.....
    • so i've been using the a5100 for half a year now, primarily for streaming. i have been noticing that the exposure and color of the image changes depending on the shirt i'm wearing. it's not a big problem now since i've moved to a bigger room with white walls, but when i used to sit in a smaller room with dark blue walls it changes drastically depending on the shirt/hoody i was wearing. i've been noticing that when i start the camera the image is dark with a red/purple hue. it takes some time for the camera to brighten up. after getting time to brighten up the image is bright and desaturated, and over time it get slightly darker and more saturated until it stops, usually takes 30m-1hr. i know about dro, have tried turning it of and using dro lvl 1. the same still happens. which makes me think it's either a software problem or some smart feature. 
    • I use a monopod with my long lenses when taking wildlife, as it gives me the freedom to track the bird or animal and is much easier to move about, than a tripod, particularly in the woods. If you look at the professional Sports photographers, they nearly all use a monopod.
    • For a REALLY long lens -- anything over 400mm, you have to assume that a tripod will be used.  That takes a little bit of getting used to it, but it's no big deal. After that, to keep things reasonable priced, look at manual focusing lenses.  There are a ton of them and they are as close to free as you can get.  Many have a T-mount, so you need a cheap adapter. I have a 500mm f8, 650mm f8.5, 800mm f11, and 1250mm f10.5 -- all t-mounts. They work fine on a tripod in A or M exposure mode -- manually focusing. They are easy to find and EASY to buy.  Spend thousands on a huge, heavy, auto-everything LD, ED, APO, G, GM, GQ-whatever, wonder zoom -- if you want.  Just don't send me the bill.
    • I wanted to move into wildlife photography but was unsure on the level of investment given I only have an A58 A Mount. I managed to get a Tamron ultrasonic silent drive 150mm to 600mm but struggling a bit to understand it. When you search around you will see people struggling with autofocus at the longer end and this is my experience so far. Manual focus is fine. If you go for the Tamron you may get confused with the VC tag (vibration control) - when you get into it this feature is only for non Sony as the Sony version allegedly handles this. My question is whether the A58 is up to the job or not. I may want to go A99 but will have to try and find users with experience of this set up. Thank you. I dug my old Minolta Dynax 5 out and the Tamron autofocus was working at long length but I simply cannot seem to hold it steady enough to avoid the handshake icon which is preventing me from taking the shot. Now looking for suitable tripod as the ones I have will not take the weight of this Tamron.
  • Topics