Issue with new a6100 camera

Hi all, 

I purchased a new a6100 12 days back. It was fine until it started behaving strangely 3 days back ( which is the cause of my worry ). 

Once or twice in 5 times, when I turn off the camera, the lens ( kit lens ( 16-50 mm ) which I've been using till now ) doesn't retract. After turning off the camera, a "click" sound comes,  then a shutter click sound comes. And then the lens retracts slowly. 

Is the product defective? Or the lens Is defective? Is it an indication of the incoming product failure? I'm worried because this camera is not even 2 weeks old from the date of purchase.  If this is a fixable issue, then what should I do ? 

Edited by Kumar Nishit

Could indeed be sensor cleaning but also sounds like the hot pixel mapping routine. When I still had an a6000 + 16-50 it behaved the same. Usually this only occurs once or twice each month. Does it still persist behaving as frequently like this? Wouldn't worry about it if it happens every now and then, but shouldn't be every other time you switch off the camera.

Edited by Pieter

55 minutes ago, Pieter said:

Could indeed be sensor cleaning but also sounds like the hot pixel mapping routine. When I still had an a6000 + 16-50 it behaved the same. Usually this only occurs once or twice each month. Does it still persist behaving as frequently like this? Wouldn't worry about it if it happens every now and then, but shouldn't be every other time you switch off the camera.

Hi Pieter, 

I usually take my camera 2-3 times almost daily, 2 days gap give and take, since I'm learning photography. In the last 3 days, I've seen this happen a total of 4 times, especially when I keep the camera ON for more than 5 Mins straight. If I turn it On and Off again, it retracts normally without any sound. 

This didn't happen when I was traveling, just on the second day of purchase and I used to keep the camera ON for a few mins. Never did this happen . I came back and changed some settings following a YT video. Since then, I'm seeing this . Could this be the reason behind this ?

Only solution I can think is to wait till it retracts on its own,  when not shooting anything,  or browsing through pics, or when the camera is simply left idle for some time , and then turn OFF the camera. But that would just be a workaround. 

Since your a6000 behaved the same, I guess it's not much to worry about, although the reason behind this phenomenon still remains unclear. I used a Fuji Finepix before this , it's still working after these 10 years , but I haven't seen this happen during its usage. 

PS: hot pixels issue occurs in camera more than a couple of years old, right? This one is brand new. 

5 hours ago, Kumar Nishit said:

I came back and changed some settings following a YT video. Since then, I'm seeing this .

I'd try a factory settings reset and see if the issue persists. Not sure which setting might cause this behaviour. It would be less annoying if the 16-50 lens collapsed immediately after switching the camera off but alas, it waits with collapsing until the camera is completely finished with whatever it's doing.

5 hours ago, Kumar Nishit said:

PS: hot pixels issue occurs in camera more than a couple of years old, right? This one is brand new. 

Hot pixels occur in cameras of all ages from all brands. I've occasionally spotted a hot pixel in my camera, but after a hot pixel mapping routine the issue was totally gone. Wouldn't worry about this as it's adequately dealt with in Sony cameras.