Cheap Sony lenses from Hong kong

Krill88

• 4 months later...

For my youtube channel ParadiseBizz I am frequently buying and testing lenses for my Sony a6100 and Sony A7RIV. 

I bought the Pergear 60mm f2.8 Macro, a manual focus APS-C lens. 

I did not expect much, since it only retails for about $220. 

But it was very sharp and the results impressive

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Difi

This is a great point.  There are other lenses -- made by other manufacturers -- that have dropped the auto-focusing feature, and consequently can sell a lens for a lot less.  With some lenses, auto-focusing is less important than others.  These can be a-mount or e-mount.

• 1 month later...

There seems to be an expectation that Chinese equipment is always either a "knock off" of Euro/Japanese/American designs or cheap quality.

However, this is not always the case. Laowa Venus are producing some novel lenses of very good quality and I'm also impressed with my Leofoto tripod and monopod.

It's funny to see how enthusiasts like all of us can make a topic drift in any direction we like. All OP asked was 'are grey market Sony lenses genuine or falsified?', and straight after lost interest in his own thread while we're all still here discussing the pros and cons of manual focus lenses from yesteryear and/or Chinese manufacture.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:29 PM, Pieter said:

It's funny to see how enthusiasts like all of us can make a topic drift in any direction we like.

Yep, isn't this what discussions do? After you very succinctly answered Krill88's question the discussion developed.

Now, have you seen what they are designing in Mongolia?.....

On 10/1/2021 at 9:41 AM, thebeardedgroundsman said:

There seems to be an expectation that Chinese equipment is always either a "knock off" of Euro/Japanese/American designs or cheap quality.

However, this is not always the case. Laowa Venus are producing some novel lenses of very good quality and I'm also impressed with my Leofoto tripod and monopod.

I have one of their Macro lenses; love it!